1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best way to start out the chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by logansmommy7, May 15, 2009.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    I will be getting most of my flock on Sunday (now we are just getting ready and have none), but am wondering, if you have a run, do you still have to keep the chickens in the coop (which is for nights I'm guessing) all of the time for days, or can they come out in the run during the day?

2. Bryzantium

Bryzantium Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    I have an 16x8 enclosed run. I just open the door,to the coop, in the morning and let them have the run of the run as they like. I do let mine out,of the enclosure, in the evening to forage tho. They often go into the coop in the heat of the day,but can be found outside at anytime.

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    So you leave them able to go outside in the run all of the time? I was planning on locking mine in the coop at night. Just wondering...I too was also going to let mine forage outside the run some, but not all of the time. How long should I leave them in the actual coop when I first get them?

4. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

For a day or two. Then, if you have an enclosed run, the chickens can be out and about, having fun, scratching, jumping for bugs, enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.

Have fun!! [​IMG]
    Val

5. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    HAVE FUN WITH YOUR NEW Feathered family![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We keep ours in the coop at night, but then open the door to the run in the morning, our stay outside all day, unless they choose to go back in the coop for part of the day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by