1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best way to start with quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by awesomefowl, Feb 14, 2011.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I really want to get started keeping Coturnix so I can have quail eggs and meat. Should I start with hatching eggs, breeders, or chicks? I'd love to hatch my own in my Brinsea mini incubator, but I can't find anyone in my area (southern tier NY) who has eggs, and I am afraid to ship eggs as I have had rotten luck with shipped eggs. I would like to start with Jumbo Brown for eggs and meat.
    What should I do? What do you think?
    Thanks!
    awesomefowl

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I believe you could do well with coturnix eggs shipped. 50% or so hatch rates are common. Theres a thread going now about JJ's shipped eggs hatching at what seems to be a very high rate. There are several members here I would buy eggs from that have jumbos. Best of luck, Bill

3. awesomefowl

Well I was considering ordering from Whitehouse quail. Has anyine had good hatch rates with them? Anyone know of someone close to me I could order eggs from?

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
  5. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Ha! I'm replying to your PM now! [​IMG]

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    best way to start with quail?

I RECOMMEND FRIED WITH MASHED POTATOES AND MILK GRAVY... MAYBE SOME HOMINY AND A NICE CEASAR SALAD OR SOME COLESLAW [​IMG]

7. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:I RECOMMEND FRIED WITH MASHED POTATOES AND MILK GRAVY... MAYBE SOME HOMINY AND A NICE CEASAR SALAD OR SOME COLESLAW [​IMG]

Now JJ, Thats how you FINISH with quail.....Bill

8. awesomefowl

Quote:Ha! I'm replying to your PM now! [​IMG]

I just have to get permission to order the eggs. [​IMG]

9. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I RECOMMEND FRIED WITH MASHED POTATOES AND MILK GRAVY... MAYBE SOME HOMINY AND A NICE CEASAR SALAD OR SOME COLESLAW [​IMG]

Now JJ, Thats how you FINISH with quail.....Bill

I fully agree. But after you fry those boogers, put them in a glass dish (with lid), and add a bit of water in with them.........put'em in the oven on 225ยบ for about 1-1/2 hours. Then, pour that thin gravy (that you "DID" make from the grease drippings......right???) over those birds. That trip to the oven just made a tough (but good) bird super-tender by steaming it/them. Trust me, it's fine..... [​IMG]
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I just had to toot the ol' "how-to-make'em-good" horn.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  10. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Dam Randall, for some reason that just FLUNG a crave'in on me.... Happens every so often, mostly with my favorite foods. Fried crappie ,morel mushrooms and beer, pickled quail eggs and beer, hot chicken wings and beer, mustard sardines and beer, well almost anything and BEER! But I got a little off track I guess... Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by