Best way to treat mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NotSuperWoman, Feb 11, 2014.

1. NotSuperWoman

NotSuperWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    My Humble Manor
    I bought 2 silkies 3 weeks ago. I trust the lady that we bought them from. She claims her entire flock is mite free.

She also gave my daughter an OEG rooster.

We have no other chickens and these 3 have been kept in the house the entire time since we brought them home.

The OEG rooster got frost bite before he came home with us, and we have been treating him for it. I was putting ointment on his comb, and I noticed little bugs on him. So I thoroughly checked him and he has mites, a horrible infestation above his vent.

I will be going tomorrow to get flea/tick shampoo to bathe him. What else can I do? I have also checked the Silkies and I didn't see any. But it is possible that I just am not experienced enough to see them in silkie feathers?

Is it possible for chickens to get mites indoors? He is kept in a large rubbermaid tub and his bedding is cleaned every day. Are mites a sign that I need to make more effort in cleaning? Or is it possible that he came to us with mites and the lady didn't realize it? What should I have done differently?

Any advice you have I would appreciate.

thank you.

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    I would be thinking the birds came with their residents. I would let your supplier know so that she can check over her birds. I would also treat the silkies since they probably have them too. Vacuum the area they have been in well, wash/destroy all bedding and dust with an approved poultry dust. You will need to repeat in 7-10 days.
    I can't think of anything else but I'm sure others more experienced will chip in, good luck.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wouldn't bathe them, but just apply 5% Sevin dust. Clean out their bedding. It will kill the mites instantly, then repeat it in 7 days for the mite eggs. Recheck in another 7 days to see if it needs any more.

4. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    DE works on mites too. Be careful though and wear a mask when applying. It's a fine powder made of fossils and and because of that it can be harmful to humans if inhaled but not that bad for chickens. Some people swear by it and use it in their litter all the time

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2. Sevin works very well. Using a pair of panty hose to make a small bag containing the Sevin-5 makes much less of a mess when dusting the bird. I prefer spray mixes of Permectrin II. A little goes a long way and can be used as a dip, premise spray as well. The only time I've ever dipped was in the heat of Summer, when there isn't a risk of chilling the bird. Some people overlook treating the coop premises in addition to the birds. Cleaning out all old litter and dust from the floor and nests, then mixing up a batch of Permectrin II, spraying down the walls, nests, roosts, floors, and all cracks and crevices periodically throughout the year will keep re-infestations from happening. I do it 3-4 times a year, rotating between Permectrin II and Ravap EC. Be sure to use a vapor mask/respirator when applying.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi I bought a new silkie that was shipped to me she had mites. With mites check the bottom of the feather shafts through out the bird. If the bird has mites you will notice whitish egg sacks at the base of the feathers you will also notice soiled darker looking feathers at the shift bases. Then you will likely see tiny black bugs the size of a pepper flake usually congregated on the base of the feathers shift near the skin. I was successful in killing all the body mites with ivermectin. I still had a few in the crest which I used poultry dust (a chemical like Seven dust) I didn't want them breathing it so I would carefully take a art paint brush and brush the powder onto the scalp bits at a time . This worked well for me. If I found a particularly bad spot with eggs and bugs I would cut out that single feather that the bugs congested on as well. I don't think you would miss seeing the mites.although very small when looking at the feathers base they are pretty apparent. But you do have to look deep into the feather near the skin. If you see tiny black looking things small as a pepper flake or smaller then likely she has them. They also soil the feather at the base near the skin and turn it grayish. If she does have them I doubt DE will be effective enough to rid the mites.with mites you usually have to bring out the big guns like chemicals.i really hope this is helpful . Also I really doubt you would miss mites. If your looking at the feathers base near the skin you would see them. Best of luck.

8. NotSuperWoman

NotSuperWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    My Humble Manor
    Thank you. I have DE. Food grade DE. I didn't think of using that. I checked my silkies and I still didn't see any mites. We have the OEG rooster and our silkies in different rooms.

We are throroughly cleaning all the rubbermaid tubs this am. We clean the bedding every morning.... but giving the tubs a good scrubdown just incase. Right now all 3 are in cat carriers. I could not find any sevin dust at my local store so Ihave to make a trip to the feed store this evening when my hubby gets off work.

My poor rooster :( They all need baths anyway so I am going to do a bath with Dawn dish soap and see if I can get rid of some of the mites that way, then apply DE mixed in with the bedding. Thank you all.

9. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its abrasive and physico-sorptive properties.[8] The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeatslugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans, with questionable efficacy.[9][10] It is commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and possibly eliminate bed bug, house dust mite, cockroach, ant and flea infestations.[11][12] This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.[13]
    In order to be effective as an insecticide, diatomaceous earth must be uncalcinated (i.e., it must not be heat-treated prior to application)[14] and have a mean particle size below about 12 µm (i.e., food-grade – see below).
    Although considered to be relatively low-risk, pesticides containing diatomaceous earth are not exempt from regulation in the United States under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act and must be registered with the Environmental Protection Agency.[15]

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

It can be a good, especially when it's on hand. However, Sevin would be my next step. I would only use DE or any other insecticide if I had a problem.

Dawn might not be your best bet.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've used DE for lice and mites and it was ineffective. Sevin dust will take care of your mite problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by