Best way......????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cjeanean, May 5, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I have 8 1 month old chicks who are spending their second day outside. Although they run around in the run a bit, the older chickens (2 months) are pecking at them every once in a while, and the 1 month olds huddle in one corner of the run in between running around. They get chased for a few feet here and there, walk/run around, then go back to their corners. Is this normal???? Is this just part of the pecking order??? They aren't getting pecked constantly, or hurt, it just seems like the older ones want them to know who the bosses are. When should I be concerned??? What's the best method for introducing the younger ones into the flock????

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    The older ones will peck for awhile to establish their pecking order. Watch for blood or trauma as they will quickly turn to cannibals. Then you will have to seperate.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    What signs are there to watch for that the older ones are serious??? Right now I put the older ones in the coop and I'm letting the smaller ones have the run for a while, give them a chance to eat and drink without the older ones chasing them around.....is that a good idea????

4. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Where they are only a month apart they should get along fairly fast.

Will they be living together? If so, then once you put them together let them be unless there is blood. Or you notice the 1 month olds not eating or drinking at all.

I would go into the pen and make sure that they were all eating and drinking when mine were mixing.

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    yeah, they'll be living together....I'm gonna be putting the brooder out in the coop tonight.....I just want to make sure I know what to look for, this is the first time I've intro'd newbies to the flock.....thanks for the advice!!!!! Any more suggestions????

6. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Treats to all. Let them know that it is ok that they are mixing. You will just want to watch and make sure that they are all getting off the roost and eating and drinking and make sure they have plenty of space. Overcrowding tends to make them peck more.
    They will eventually get use to eachother and the pecking will stop.

I have some that I introduced last summer that still will wait until the older ones eat in the morning before they get off their roost, so not to anger them. They will find their own place after awhile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by