Best ways to identify drakes and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaOrp, Jun 14, 2011.

1. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Ok so what are the best ways to identify genders without any invasive proding!!!

2. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Voice - Males have a raspy, squawky quack and females have the proper, loud quack. This is not the same in Muscovies, only Mallard-derived breeds.

Feathers - Males have a couple of curly feathers (drake feathers) on the tail in their adult set of feathers. Again this does not work for Muscovies as they do not have the drake feathers.

3. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    The quack, females will have a loud quack while the males have more of a raspy quack. Also if they are old enough the drakes will have few feathers at the base of his tale that curl, females will have straight tails.

4. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    is it just drakes who have the green heads? i have 1 khaki campbell and 3 aylesbury crosses.

5. AdamD77

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Only certain breeds/colour varieties have green heads, but a green head is generally the sign of a male, except in black ducks which normally have the greenish shine to feathers in both males and females.

6. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    My female rouen has a green tint to her head. But idk about either of those breeds.

7. AdamD77

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    I think male Campbells may have a slight green tinge to the head, but someone with them will be able to tell you that. Or just search Khaki Campbell Ducks on Google and I'm sure you'll be able to identify that way. Are the Aylesburies crossed with Khaki Campbell? As you probably know, the Aylesbury is pure white, but I'm not sure what tha cross would look like. Do you have photos?

8. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Haha! Idk what i was thinking I have a khaki campbell, Lol! But I have never heard that the males can have green heads. It might be that way seeing as though I only have a female. Pics would be a lot more help in telling what you have.

9. bogielousa

bogielousa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    The Swamp
    so at what age do they generally get their curl? One of mine looks like he's got a curl forming but I'm not sure if that's really what's happening, maybe it's just a funky feather as it's not really a curl yet, lol.

10. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    if you post a pick we may be able to tell you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by