Best ways to tame chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by reveriereptile, May 14, 2008.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I've handled my first batch of chicks I hatched out often but they still aren't all that tame. They don't mind me being around them and will walk under my feet. Two use to like hopping up on my hand when they were smaller. I'm getting an assortment of chicks at the end of this month that I would like to try to get tamed down. I'd like to be able to pet my chickens without having to sneak up on them. The RIRs I have will sort of let me pet them but walk off. They will follow me around though in the yard.

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    my girlfriend did that with her chicks, she picked a few that she spent alot of time with, holding every day, giving treats, she gave them bananas!
    When I went to visit, they would fly up on my shoulder thinking I was giving treats!
    It was pretty neat, but you will have to pretty much do it right away, there are usually some in every batch that seem more friendly than the others.

3. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I'll have to go through all of the chicks when we get them to see which ones seem more likely to become the most tame. I'll have to try the treats also.

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    You actually believe YOU ARE TAMING THEM???

Its the other way around don't you know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by