Best Winter Treat Ever

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AWChickens, Dec 8, 2008.

1. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Let me preface this by saying- obviously I am insane [​IMG] but I have a splash Andalusian rooster that I inherited from a neighbor, and who is strictly ornamental/pet. He's having a much harder time with the cold than the girls, and has started running up to the house as soon as I pull into the drive, hopping around begging for treats and looking very cold. Last week he started running up and actually jumping into my arms, then snuggling into my coat and closing his eyes, sort of a "hold me, it's cold"! Ridiculous, I know, but the little guy is so stinking cute. Since carrying him around all day, and moving into the house are bad ideas, I've been working on a 'warm up' treat for him. I started dumping a can of sweet corn in a bowl, and then adding oatmeal, microwaving the whole thing, and serving it warm. They go at it like mealworms, you have to set it down fast and back away before they take you down to get to it. I figure the corn warms everyone up bit, and since they love it so much, thought I'd share.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i usually put applesauce in their warm oatmeal but yesterday when it was 10* in the am I put in leftover meatloaf and crumbled it up. My quick tip, I heat the water by putting it thru the coffee pot. Its good and hot so its still really warm till I get it out there.

3. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks. Pity I live in such a warm climate cause I'd love to try it out.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Okay, oatmeal, applesauce, canned niblet corn, and meat loaf.

I wouldn't have any trouble living on that!

Steve

5. Elizabeth Ann

Elizabeth Ann Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    Wayland, MI
    Mine have been loving venison burger (raw), yogurt and cabbage hanging in the coop. They turned their beaks up at oatmeal. Who doesn't like oatmeal?

6. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    we want pics !

of the roo, not the grub

7. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I will try to get someone else to take picture, since I can't do it myself with the little guy curled up in my arms, I've decided he's a bit of a drama king, and is milking the extra attention for all it's worth [​IMG]

8. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm trying oatmeal on my chickens tomorrow. I'm raising two roosters and it's really cold, one of them got a slightly frostbitten comb. I'm hoping something warm will help prevent that from happening again!

Another good chicken treat: Grasshoppers. In the autumn, I go around and catch as many grasshoppers and I can and give them to my lovely chickens! It's entertaining to watch them eat them and it's all great protein!

9. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    My girls get warm oatmeal every morning. I have to "wake" them up in the morning because it is not light out by the time I go to work. When they hear my back door open, they start to move around. By the time I get in their coop and turn their heat lamp on, they are ready to pounce on me for the warm oatmeal. Sometimes I add some extra oyster shells in it....sometimes I put some frozen berries. All depends what I have around the house.

10. elcunni75

elcunni75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    SE MA
    I make mine a warm mash made w/: Hot water

Wheat bran, scratch, BOSS, flax seed and shelled peanuts. I throw in thawed frozen veggies (peas, carrots, broccoli, etc) and maybe a fruit or two (apples, bananas usually) and some of their egg shells, dried and crushed up. If I happen to think of it, I may add some dry organic cat food or oatmeal.

My birdies LOVE it.. have to make 2 bowls so everyone gets their fill!
    They DON'T get this everyday.. as it seems to make them lazy layers.. so its an every other day or so treat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by