Best wormer for dogs/cats with tapeworm

hayley3

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
So we took in a stray cat in around Thanksgiving......we now know she has fleas. Now my dog has fleas..now my dog has tapeworms. :(
Tapeworms eggs found in my bed...ugggh.
Suggestions for what to buy or natural remedies, appreciated. Also any natural remedies for humans?

Last edited:

cassie

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Keep in mind that just because something is touted as natural does not mean it is either safe or effective. In fact I just saw on Dr. Pol a case where a woman was giving an over the counter natural wormer to her dog and almost killed it. You may have to get something from the vet. I can tell you that most wormers are not effective on tapeworms. You will need to find one formulated specifically for tapeworms. I also do not know if there are any non prescription wormers that work on tapeworms.

cassie

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
OK. I just checked. Go to Jeffers.com. Type dog tapeworm dewormer in the search line. Some wormers will come up. I didn't check for cats but that will give you a place to start.

hayley3

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Thanks, I found some Safeguard for dogs at Tractor Supply, which treats four types of worms. And found some Bayer brand specifically for tapeworms.
I'm a bit grossed out so was in a rush when I asked for help.
now to find some for me. LOL

Folly's place

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Praziquantal at the correct dose per pound body weight for each species (dog and cat) kills tapeworms. Fenbendazole doesn't kill all tapeworm types, so it's not the best choice for this.
Dogs and cats get tapeworms in their gut from either eating fleas, or any type of raw meat.
Mary

cassie

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Thanks, I found some Safeguard for dogs at Tractor Supply, which treats four types of worms. And found some Bayer brand specifically for tapeworms.
I'm a bit grossed out so was in a rush when I asked for help.
now to find some for me. LOL
Just curious. Why do you think you need some? If you are infected with tapeworms you will find out soon enough. If that is the case, a trip to the doctor is in order.

hayley3

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Just curious. Why do you think you need some? If you are infected with tapeworms you will find out soon enough. If that is the case, a trip to the doctor is in order.
I just believe in preventative medicine. I have been waking up to tapeworm segments in my bed...ewwww...that's how I know she has tapeworms.

Folly's place

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Tapeworm life cycles are complicated. The individual who eats those tapeworm segments, which are an egg sack with a muscle, gets tapeworm cysts in their tissues; muscle, liver, brain, where-ever. The individual who eats that tissue containing cysts, raw, gets the tapeworms in their gut. Some tapeworms have three life stages in three different hosts, even more complicated.
All yucky!
So, unless you managed to eat the tapeworm segments (small children will do this!) you are fine. Unless you ate the same raw (very rare?) meat that the cat ate...
Mary

Top Bottom