Best wound ointment for goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tonkatuff, Jan 9, 2011.

1. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    Got a goat that got roughed up by the dog this am... puncture hole on her nose and a good sized laceration at the base of her ear, I've got this EMT Gel that I've never used and I've got Wonder Dust... any suggestions?

2. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I've never used those but they both sound good... I'd make sure they're clean (you probably already did that) & I'm leaning to the gel.
    Hope she does well [​IMG]

3. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    There's a product called Vetericyn that works really well - it is a spray. There are two versions of it - one you can get from most farm supply stores and one that you can get from your vet. The version from your vet is stronger. I wouldn't use ointments for too long - wounds heal quicker if they are exposed to air. Honestly, nothing works better than good old soap and water. Watch for swelling and drainage - you may need a vet if that occurs. Good luck and no treats for the naughty dog!

4. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    You don't want to close a puncture wound, and emt gel is liquid stitches (works great but not what you want here) just clean them, keep the puncture from closing (they need to heal from the inside out) some triple antibiotic ointment, or the dust you have). Watch for shock, dog attacks have a bad effect on goats, and they get shocky and go down easily.

5. Catz1611

Catz1611 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Fredericksburg VA.
    I have TROPHY EMT with Natural hydrolysate of Collagen gel... for large and small animals..

I used it on My Rooster who had almost an Inch deep and wide gash on his back from a dog attack. I went to the Tractor Supply and that is what they recommended. said it was the best stuff for healing wounds.

the EMT Gel does heal the wound from the Inside out and it keeps the wound from infection.(at least that is what I was told when I bought it) it healed up my rooster wonderfully and his wound was pretty NASTY!! especially since I couldn't doctor it for a week due to being out of town... Now, you can't even tell he was ever hurt.

it says for Small and Large animals so I would assume that means Goats. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my goat if he were hurt....but that is my opinion.

http://www.scruggsfarm.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=261PBI13

*Edited to add link and make a correction

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    My goat and dog got into it awhile back. My goat went up to my dog and the dog growled to let him know leave me alone. Did he listen? No Next thing I see is my goat and dog both rearing up in the air. Yelled and stopped them. Did not fuss at my dog. He was protecting himself.(he never bothers the goats). The dog comes running and I check him out nothing wrong. Go to my goat and blood running out of his nose . I freaked out. Got it together and cleaned away the blood. There was a small tear on his nose and on his lip. Cleaned it up with soap and warm water. He was sore for about 2 days and then he was fine. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by