Best Yummy Treats!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickensXOXO, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Okay, so I'm spoiling my baby Silkie, Cloud, big time!

He loves.... cooked rice with gravy or tomatoes
    Not as crazy over the butter beans.
    And of course, he loves bread.

For a snack, he loves watermelon! Not as crazy over strawberries.

What are some other treats he might like?

Your chicks have any favorites?

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Boiled & Scrambled eggs, popcorn, BOSS, Scratch, Mash, Corn'n the cob, cooked pasta...just about anything. [​IMG]

~ Aspen

3. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    GRAPES! Don't give them to the chickies whole - they'll choke in their excitement. Cut them up or at least squish them.

My sister gives her girls hot dogs. Eeewww! But they coming running for them!

Oatmeal. Especially warm on a cold winter's morning. Yuuummmmm.

Watermelon. On a hot summer day. aaaahhhhhh.

Meal worms. Just be careful. They will attack you for these.

Big thumbs up on scramble eggs.

Yogurt. Some times it takes a couple of tries with this one, but once they discover it you better watch out! They dip there faces in it to slurp it up and then shake. Yogurt flies every where!

Ditto on "everything".

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    It truly amazes me what different tastes they each have.

I have a Jersey Giant who will knock the other hens over to get at me if she sees a banana in my hand.
    My Buff Orpington, LOVES things with seeds. Cantaloup guts are a huge hit.

And yes, I've been absolutely rolled by my three hens when I didn't dole out meal worms fast enough one time.

5. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Tried mashed boiled peanuts on him tonight. He loved it.
    Also chunks of tomatoes tonight.

For a snack, little peanut butter, jelly, and honey mixed... not as crazy over it.
    (was a leftover, if you're wondering!)

[​IMG]

6. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Some love water melon, some love pasta, all of them go crazy for cat food. A lettuce hung from a low branch to get them stretching is a good treat...for us too.

7. Percysmom

Percysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Mine loves lettuce and broccoli from the garden. Also blueberries. Can you tell me how I can post a question. I am new to this site and can't figure it out.

8. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    I also have silkies! I really love your avatar! My silkies simply adore lettuce and they will slurp up spaghetti like worms! They go crazy for meal worms, that's for sure. They love corn on the cob. Once I was picking cherries and I got the first fresh one and was about to sit down and eat it but my Silkie roo raced up to me and sat in my lap and tore the cherry out of my hand and ate it! I decided to give it to him, so much for my first ripe cherry hahahaha!

Here's my thread that's full of a lot of food ideas for chickens:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=560145&p=3

9. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    My girls (mixed flock....but we have a silkie in there too!) LOOOOOOVE oats, the seeds from bell peppers, cantalope seeds, tomatoes, strawberry tops, peas, green beans, cat food......

Honestly....they get just about all the leftovers we dont eat! [​IMG] Much to the dismay of my dog that used to get it all. (I do still try and get her some too...she is a good pooch).

10. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Water melon, spaghetti,(thats fun to watch), bread, pound cake, scrambled eggs,everything from the garden abd fruit trees, almost all left overs, BOSS, we try whatever we have and give them 2 treats a day. I don't think anything has been on the ground long after it hits,LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by