1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by worms7, Oct 15, 2015.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Is there a breed of chickens that
    Is a good egg laying bird but none
    Broody
    Cheers

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Leghorns and sex links are excellent layers that RARELY go broody. An occasional bird will want to set, but they are generally non broody.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on sourland. The strain of White Leghorns that are used by laying houses for producing white eggs are especially egg laying machines. Red and Black Sex Links are used by laying houses for brown eggs and they are egg laying machines as well. I've had all three of these and I especially love the Black Sex Links (Black Stars). I raised them for years and they have been my very best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year with double yolks not being uncommon. I have been especially impressed by the BSLs persistence in laying in really cold weather. In addition they are very friendly and hardy chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by