Betadine on Unabsorbed Yolk Sac? Updated question post 1..

hatchaholic

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
South Carolina
This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. If I put betadine on the unabsorbed yolk sac, about the size of a pea (maybe a little smaller), will it hurt the chicken if the sac is eventually absorbed?
Thanks.

I've never had this happen before, so I need help. A chick hatched out late last night and it has a red "bubble" hanging from its bottom. The yolk sac didn't fully absorb. Will this eventually absorb, or is it best to go ahead and cull?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave it in the bator, sometimes they finish absorbing...if you have more that have hatched take them out so they won't pick at it...

Thanks. I did leave it in the bator because of the other chicks in the brooder.

The chick seems strong and healthy, other than this issue. How long can I leave it in the bator?

How is the baby doing?? If the sack is still out you might want to blot it 2-4 times a day with Providone Iodine (10%) to keep it from getting infected. That is one of the main things you want to worry about is infection. If it is small (about pea sized) then it should absorb, but if it is big it may likely not.
You might want to take the little guy out of the bator if it is 3 days now. Put him in a brooder with his own light by himself. You dont want him to contaminate the bator. Give him TLC with crumbles and water and maybe some HB egg and make sure he his drinking and hope for the best. There is really no telling at this point. Definately blot Iodine on and around the whole area, this should help.
Good luck and let us know how you both are doing!
Crystalchik

Crystal,
The chick was actually born last night. But, it is very alert and healthy, other than the sac. It is about pea-sized..maybe a little smaller. I have but s/he in a tupperware bowl inside the brooder so the other chicks can't get to it. It's been drinking water and eating a little. I think I will take your advice and give it some HB eggs.
One question about the iodine...I don't have any on hand. Will a betadine ointment work??

Thanks, and here's hoping...
fl.gif

I wouldn't put anything on the chick just yet, give him til tomorrow to see if its drying up...my opinion.....

I personally have never given chicks that young HB eggs...just wet warm chick feed if they aren't eating and drinking good on their own.

Thanks for the help. She (at least I'm hoping it's a she) is eating and drinking fine, so hopefully by the morning it will be better.

It doesn't look as red now, more brown, and looks a little "shriveled".

I hatched these RIRs for a friend, but if this one makes it, I'm keeping her!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom