better hatch rates with autoturning or hand turning?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by williamsl77, Jan 22, 2012.

1. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Curious about opinions for which improves hatch rates... autoturn because you don't open the incubator as much or hand turning? Or does it make a difference?

I bought/acquired too many eggs, so to fit them all in, I had to take out the autoturner and hand turn some. I have two incubators, doing a staggered hatch. One incubator now has a few eggs in lockdown. Once they hatch, I'll clean it out and move the next batch over from the 2nd incubator. But I have 2-3 or so days now where I'll be handturning these eggs.

So anyway... curious about opinions with hand turning and autoturning. When I turn, I do it quickly and temps are back up usually pretty quickly when I'm done... usually within 15 or so minutes.

2. williamsl77

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    Is it a lame question? I also wondered if maybe eggs being shipped would make a difference. Like maybe the autoturner is better for shipped eggs because it keeps them more upright. But not shipped eggs would not matter as much.

Anyway... even just philosophical thoughts would be appreciated. 8)

3. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Honestly I would have no idea. I've heard different reviews about both. I'm hand turning my first batch currently. As for opening the incubator, it shouldn't really matter. The incubator will pick the temp back up well before the eggs cool off. I guess it really depends on personal preference. I like to have my hands on the eggs. I think it adds to the experience. But if you have to work or go to school all the time, the turner would definitely be the better option.

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I'm doing both right now, and have done the hand turning more in the past, but because I had neck surgery, I went to auto turning. I personally don't like it. I can't see anything as soon when I candle, it looks wavy..only way I know how to explain it, but with hand turned eggs..at the same time, I can see the little dot~and air sac sooner.
    I am not sure if it is only coincidence..but since I have hatched with the turner, my hatches have not been as good. Now, I will be able to compare, because like I said, I have the two bators going. Will see in a couple of weeks. So far, I can see that I am doing well with the hand turned eggs..10 out of 12 pure Ameraucana eggs doing well, all the way from Georgia. This is me..anyone else?

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

shipped eggs are better off being incubated upright.. upright incubation (with turning them by tilting them a bit ) works better for them because if any of the air cells are damaged they won't migrate around the egg as much as if they eggs were laid on their side.. so for pure ease I would suggest an autoturner for them.. though they can be incubated in egg cartons with the carton being manually tilted by hand with excellent results... either way laying a shipped egg on it's side isn't the best way to hatch one just because of air cell damage issues.

now for regular eggs.. the main difference I have seen is on how clean your hands are if you are hand turning.. if your hands are dirty or greasy then the hatch rate tends to be lower since every time you touch the eggs you are depositing bacteria and oils onto the surface of the shell.. IF you are making sure your hands are freshly washed and free from oils (I use antibacterial soap or don surgical gloves) then there isn't any worry about contamination.

Some incubators are more "air tight" than others so the fresh air exchange given by opening the bator to hand turn is actually a plus

For some people with very busy schedules an autoturner allows them to go about their day without worrying if they forgot to turn the eggs..

so in my opinion after hatching tons of eggs is that it really depends on the person doing the turning as to if it will be better or worse than using an auto turner

6. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I had worse luck hand turning, but then a person I know took a batch of eggs and split them half were hand turned and half in a turner, his hatch rates were the same.

7. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    I haven't seen a hen that could balance her eggs on end...so I hand turn.

1 person likes this.
  8. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    My thoughts too, acy. :) I like your pic. lol

9. williamsl77

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    So interesting... thanks for everyone's thoughts. I think it all boils down to a little bit of luck.

10. thatchickenlady

thatchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    New York
    I think you'll be fine with the hand turning you are doing. Most everything I hatch is auto turned but whenever i've hand turned eggs the hatch has been about the same...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by