Better nesting material?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenhuntin, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Chickenhuntin

Chickenhuntin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Walworth county, WI
    I am getting bugged from fishing around in the shaving. Everytime they lay, they cover it. I fear if I don't collect them and let them chill, It could cause problems. Oh and the Golf ball trick worked once with my girls. Now they lay in the hardest place to get to. I think I need a higher roost. would 12" be enough clearance above the roost?

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Do you mean they are covering the eggs? Geez if they do that I better go digging.

3. newchickgirl

newchickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Appleton, Maine
    I was wondering about this myself. I have shavings in the nesting boxes, probably 3 or 4 large handfuls. They manage to scoot all the shavings away and lay on the wood floor of the boxes. Often I go check and eggs have been cracked or they hens have been eating the eggs! Its so frustrating. I was thinking about trying hay in the boxes but I need to find some. What happened with the golf ball? I have heard of people putting them into the boxes but I'm not sure what it does.

4. Chickenhuntin

Mar 22, 2010
    Walworth county, WI
    IT's purpose is to trick them and make see where the propper place is to lay. All my roost are level with the boxes. I am very limited due to 3ft total of interior hieght. (small coop) I think if I have it about 2 ft up and boxes are about 6 inches of the ground that should help, huh?

5. newchickgirl

newchickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Appleton, Maine
    I have my boxes on cinder blocks, 2 high laying on their side. My roosts are also about the same height as the coop is an A frame and although I can stand in the center, there isn't much room for higher roosts.

chickenhuntin - the older girls are laying in the boxes, but sometimes they eat the eggs. Will golf balls help with that at all? If they peck them and can't break them will they just stop trying?

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I just have 1 of those plastic work bin with a low front as a nest in the bottom of my coop. With a short roost. The girls know the nest and use the roost. I think height guideline for these things are just that. We built my coop with 2 hen in mind we're going to extend it soon though all the girls seem happy.

7. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I was using pine shavings and was finding eggs all over the place except in the nest boxes. I went and got some plain timothy hay and put it JUST in the nest boxes with ceramic eggs.... viola... no more eggs all over the floor, the bushes, the compost etc...

8. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    We use hay...they do kick it out, but no luck burying the eggs so far! They also make lovely rounded nests. [​IMG]

9. Chickenhuntin

Mar 22, 2010
    Walworth county, WI
    chickenhuntin - the older girls are laying in the boxes, but sometimes they eat the eggs. Will golf balls help with that at all? If they peck them and can't break them will they just stop trying?

Feed the cooked eggs. Then they will prefer cooked than raw. It should help. I haven't had this problem, yet. But I see this may be the solution, from what I read............​

10. Chickenhuntin

Mar 22, 2010
    Walworth county, WI
    I have a layer now, But she only lays like one every two days or so. If I find them laying out in the yard, I shall punish them and they will be locked up untill I see eggs.LOL Go to your HOLE!!!! Lock down Disorderly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by