BETTER PICS: Ameraucana Experts: Newest Addition & want your critique

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KristyAz, Aug 7, 2011.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    First, I don't show chickens, but I do like to know exactly what I have. I had a cute little splash roo that I had acquired as a cute little lavender hen [​IMG] The breeder was a reputable one, and it was really just a "oops" on the guess of the sex, so she was happy to exchange him for a pullet. I took my splash rooster down there today, and got this little black pullet. I'm happy to add other pictures, but have a look and let me know what you think.

A couple of things I noticed...She has a white feather on the bottom of each wing. Also, the bottom of her feet are yellow.

Thank you [​IMG] Can't wait to hear your comments. Oh, also guesses on age. I'm told 13 weeks or so.

Edited to add better pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm sorry but those are terrible photos/poses to judge from [​IMG]

Yellow soles is practically an automatic DQ in shows, if not, I personally think it should be. Ameraucanas should have white soles; yellow is an indicator of crossbreeding.

The white feathers depend on how old she is. They may just be remnants from her babyhood. With her age, I wouldn't worry.

Otherwise it is really hard to say. I can't see her conformation, head, etc. I'd need to see side view profiles and a good photo of her face.

3. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I thought so about the yellow feet.

I'll post more pictures later today. Working now, really I am [​IMG]

4. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I replaced the pictures in the first post. Maybe these are better?

So, her feet are not yellow at all today. They are pinkish white. I guess it was something she was walking around in or something.

Also, she has the most unique, part whistle part hum sounds that she makes. I haven't ever heard a chicken make these sounds before.

5. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Shameless bump. Someone?

6. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I'm going to guess a little younger on the age. Maybe around 11 weeks but not as late as 13.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I think she's just too young to "judge" - She'll be a pretty and useful girl no matter what, of course, especially if you don't plan to show or breed her, but still if you want some comments on her body and all, she's too young to say.

8. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Thank you. She has really taken to me while she's been in quarantine. Such a sweet thing with the cutest little purr. Will post again in a few months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by