Better protector: guardian dogs or emus?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FuzzyFarms, Jan 17, 2009.

1. FuzzyFarms

FuzzyFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Central Texas
    My husband and I are in a limbo. We have sheep and chickens and want them both to be protected. ((they are in the same pasture) We have hunting dogs also, but they don't care about the sheep or chickens.

We're looking towards an Akbash puppy (like a great pyrenees but short hair) or Emu and don't know which would be better for us. Anyone have experience with using animals for protection against preditors??

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    In my mind, I wouldn't even think an emu would be an option.

If you need to control a dog you tell it to "sit" or "come". An emu..... well, I'll just say I have heard they have very powerful legs and I don't think they are very trainable.

3. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    I don't think an emu would be good. They can be mean and really don't protect anything usually. There are 4 at the farm next to us and they are always getting out and just run amuck!!! These same people also have 4 llamas used to guard the goats and they are very good at their jobs. Keep the coyotes away.

The akbash is related to the Maremma that we have and they are wonderful.

4. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Well, I know ya didn't mention nothin about it but how bout a donkey? Those are pretty good, they'll rip a mountain lion apart, I'll tell ya that right now!

5. burley

burley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Oriential North Carolina
    we raise anatolians so I am a partial to them. I do belive whatever livestock guardian you get it will be better than a emu. The biggest problem with the dogs is they are cute and cuddly and people bring them in the house . they cant guard anything from inside the house . If you get a livestock guardian to work, don't make a pet out of it.

6. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I would HATE to read the headline "Emu Disembowels Good-Intentioned Owner."

7. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    I would get a dog, donkey, or llama. Our neighbor had emus, and they let the varmints steal their eggs, kill their babies and that of the geese he had. Not only that, but if they should get out of their pen.....build up your patience and be careful. They have a powerful kick and are difficult to herd.

8. FuzzyFarms

Jan 6, 2009
    Central Texas
    Reading your thoughts on the Emu thing makes me laugh! Very good points to consider!

We're leaning more towards a dog. Plus those Emu are UGLY, but my husband thinks they're "cute." go figure...

I don't want a long haired dog because it will be outside all the time and we live in Texas, so it gets HOT. All we want the dog to do is protect our sheep and birds and not kill our other dogs. And to know their name and come when called. We plan to do very little interaction so the dog bonds with the animals and not us. Like you said, hard to protect what's outside when he's inside! lol.

So we don't know what breed to get (or where to find them). Like I said before, my husband wants an Akbash, but we arn't aware of any other affordable breeds that guard and have shorter hair, and I can't seem to find anyone who wants to sell them.

Another question: Can you introduce new birds/sheep into the flock and the dog be ok with it or are you stuck with the origional?

9. FuzzyFarms

Jan 6, 2009
    Central Texas
    That Maremma looks interesting....got to research more on that one....

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    What part of Texas? My birds are guarded by my Pyrenees, my ducks, and my big roo Nugget.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by