Better then I ever expected!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nicole01, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    That's raising chickens! This whole experience has been nothing, but awesome. I've had a few stressful moments when I had a sick chick or if they were too hot, but it's been pretty much easy going. I bought my chicks young and handled them everyday. It's paid off well and every single chick is very friendly toward all people.

I free range in the evening and my chicks go back when they are done. They like to be out of site and in the woods. Last night after an hour of being out in the woods, I sat in the middle of my backyard. They saw me and the whole clan came running toward me. A couple jumped in my lap and the others hung around me out in the open for a while before heading back.[​IMG]

My SS follows me whenever I clean the coop. She is right under my feet and I need to watch where I step. She wants me to sit down and hold her. It's amazing how friendly they are. I never expected this. I was expecting them to run from me when I was near. They are very cuddly once they are near egg laying age.

I love raising chickens! I'm pretty sure I'll have a flock of ladies from here on out.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. pimachickens

pimachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson
    Ooooh...that is so sweet. You were smart to get them young. I got mine as older pullets, and they don't like me at all. They run around flapping and squawking and spazzing out like I am trying to kill them if I go into their coop or run. They are good girls and good egg layers, so I try not to let it hurt my feelings, but when they pass and I start over I am definitely getting babies. Enjoy them! [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My neighbor across the street regrets not picking her chicks up at an early age. Her's freak out also when you get near them. It really makes a difference. My oldest EE loves my husband. It's really funny because he has nothing to do with the chickens. Hubby leaves all the work up to me. My EE follows dh everywhere in the yard when she is free ranging.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by