better time of year to get chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Karen Igou, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Karen Igou

Karen Igou New Egg

Aug 3, 2007
    Hi- I live in northern Delaware and would like to get a couple of chicks to raise. Is there a better time of year to start out with the chicks? Thanks for any help with what is probably a stupid question. Karen

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    in spring

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Spring is easiest to get the best variety and to end up with layers that give you eggs before winter hits. Chicks raised in spring seem to thrive a bit better too I think.

4. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    KAREN!! Greetings from the First State. There aren't many of us.

I got my day-old chicks on July 11th. The timing worked out pretty well, because at 3 weeks old, I was able to get them outside, no worries about a cool night giving them a chill. (*gasp* unfortunately.)

Susan

5. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I got some young roo's if you want, but you wont get eggs before winter [​IMG] You did say you were new to chickens right [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you want chicks and you're ready to get them, I say go get them now! [​IMG] I think you have enough time left this year, but I wouldn't wait any longer. If you're not really ready, then I'd wait until next spring.

You'll need a good coop for the winter, so they will stay warm. You won't have as much time to dilly-dally over getting a coop built. I mention this, because some people get a coop done right away and some people are a little slower at building. OK, a lot slower at building. [​IMG]

Also, if you are only wanting a couple of chickens, there are pre-fab coops that you can order, that go together quickly.

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    If you want chicks now would be fine, They will be in your house/garage( okay lets be real in the living room ) for the first couple of weeks, till the dust is on everything and you cant stand it anymore. Like said before you wont get eggs for a while but if you wait till spring you wont get eggs till a year from now or longer. Delaware winters are not thet bad(I'm in Elkton,MD) as long as chicks are out of brooder and have feathers they will be fine I would say before end of Oct, and if like last year Dec. So as long as you dont procrastinate toooo much everything will be ready by the time the are outside on thier own. [​IMG]

8. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I would advise around March, but shipping is iffy around that time especially around colder areas such as yours. I would try and get chicks at your local feed store if they carry them. This way you don't have to order 25 or so like most hatcheries request . Sometimes hatcheries throw in a couple of cockerels for warmth. Feed stores generally have them separated but you can get a cockerel mixed in there too. If you get pullets in March you are likely to get your first batch of eggs by late August.

9. Karen Igou

Karen Igou New Egg

Aug 3, 2007
    Thanks to all for the information. I spoke with Ruth at Highland Orchard here in Wilmington and she also suggested spring and said that she would have baby chicks then, too. We aren't quite ready for them now so the time over winter should be good to get our coop ready and give my 10 mth old son a little more time to be the "baby" of the house. best, karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by