Better way to keep my ducks safe????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherMo, Jul 16, 2019.

1. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    I have a low fence as a run for my ducks. I have two. Every night I have to chase them around the run to capture them to lock them in a dog kennel for safety. I don’t think this is doing much for my relationship with my ducks (they get so mad at me) and it’s not an easy process, one night I slipped and fell in their mucky kiddie pool water, so gross. Does anyone have suggestions for a better way?

2. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    Give them a great when they go up. I feed mine in the coop,or some mealworms. Once you treat them every time for a week, they will put themselves away.

3. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    I can’t believe I didn’t think of this, duh! Thank you so much!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

You need a secure pen for them. A dog crate isn't sufficient to be locked into all night long. They don't sleep all night like chickens.

5. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    One like this? Why isn’t this secure? How would a predator get at them? There’s only 2 ducks so I think it’s enough space if they are only in there at night time but I’m a newbie and open to advice!

Attached Files:

6. chickens really

Well what are your winter plans etc...?
    Definitely a raccoon can get them in there and weasel. Plus a coyote or fox...

7. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    I’m trying to figure that out, I’ve had chickens since April and I’m all set up for that but the ducks were kinda a spontaneous decision. I was naive and thought i could introduce them to my chickens and everyone would live peacefully, lol.... yeah not happening. I have a separate run for them but it’s temporary and so is the dog kennel. Just until I figure out the best way to house them. I love the ducks a lot, more than the chickens! I actually want more of them. So how do you house your ducks? I want to do it right this time.

8. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    And a picture would be awesome!
    I have a tarp wrapped around the kennel to shield from the wind. I also have s small dog house in the run but they will outgrow it and I can’t lock them in.

9. chickens really

A picture of what?

10. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    Your duck house. I was just hoping to get some good advice and tips from experienced duck owners.

chickens really likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: