between brooder and coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by makers12, Mar 25, 2015.

1. makers12

makers12 New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    My chicks are around 3 weeks old. I've been trying to figure out what to do with them cage wise between the brooder and the outside coop.
    I haven't seen much on the forums about indoor pen sizes for those weeks. I had some scrap wood around, so I came up with some sort of plan.

For the first week I had them in a plastic container right off the kitchen. There is no better way to get to know your new friends than having them flap their wings at the dinner Table.
    [​IMG]

Here is what I came up with for the weeks before they go outside. The rough dimensions are about 2 feet by 4 feet. I put a divider half way between. In another week or so I will remove that and they can have the full length.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    That looks great. How many do you have? You can probably let them have the entire space. They will love to stretch their wings. They have a heat source and if they get cold they will go to it. Are they going to stay in the kitchen? I have 9 in 2 seperate pack and play ( small baby playpens) in my spare room that works pretty good too.

3. pmcont3

pmcont3 Out Of The Brooder

Does the coop have chickens in it now?

4. makers12

makers12 New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    [​IMG]The new box is out of the kitchen. I built it down in the basement. There are 3 chicks in it. Their space has doubled since the plastic tub. They are loving life.
    I put the divider in to reduce cleanup. Right now they have plenty of space on the one side.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Good luck with the 3 little beautiful fluffy butts. I love the idea of the expansion wall. Great thinking.

6. makers12

makers12 New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    Still building the cooP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by