Beurre Manie

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KenK, Dec 11, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Flour and butter kneaded together to use as a thickener. It works really well and tastes better to me than my mom's method of mixing flour or cornstarch with water.

I'm making chicken and dumplings for supper and just scrapped a bunch of chicken fat off the top of the broth.

graisse de poulet manie?

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Wow that sounds good...

I smoked two hens last night, we ate one for supper and the other one I plan to make a pot of gumbo with...but I have some pork chops thawed in the frig that I need to cook and I was thinking about trying this recipe.

I would half the recipe.... trim the fat off the chops and sub for the chicken....cooking a shorter amount of time of course.

Serve with mashed potatoes, cream gravy and some collards from my garden. My collards are the only thing left in my garden after the freeze we had a week ago but it doesn't get cold enough here to kill collards. They can live though almost anything you throw at them. We had the worst heat wave and drought this past summer and my collards never looked better. [​IMG]

Triple Dipped Fried Chicken

Ingredients
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tablespoons garlic salt
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 egg yolks, beaten
    1 1/2 cups beer or water

1 quart vegetable oil for frying
    1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces

Directions
    1.In one medium bowl, mix together 3 cups of flour, garlic salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, paprika and poultry seasoning. In a separate bowl, stir together 1 1/3 cups flour, salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, egg yolks and beer. You may need to thin with additional beer if the batter is too thick.
    2.Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Moisten each piece of chicken with a little water, then dip in the dry mix. Shake off excess and dip in the wet mix, then dip in the dry mix once more.
    3.Carefully place the chicken pieces in the hot oil. Fry for 15 to 18 minutes, or until well browned. Smaller pieces will not take as long. Large pieces may take longer. Remove and drain on paper towels before serving.

3. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Pork chops are something I've never gotten the hang of. We mostly eat venison and chicken and when we do buy pork it is generally a shoulder for smoking.

Funny you mention collards, I'm going to have collards with my chicken and dumplings. I'm tempted to make two pots of chicken and dumplings and put the collards directly in one and hide the other. On the one hand it would be funny (or scary and sad) to see the look on my wife's face, on the other, it might make her cry. I'm a bad man for even thinking about it.

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Do your collards get bitter in the summer? Sounds like I need to plant them. Maybe in my shady areas so they dont get roasted. I can get kale and chard to survive in the shade sometimes, although I end up feeding it to the chickens during the heat of the summer as they don't taste as good. At least it's something green when nothing else will grow. Amaranth, too.
    Thinking about trying some New Zealand spinach just for the chickens, too. Something to grow on the paddock fence.

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:LOL...Yes you are a bad man.

These pork chops are off a wild pig and they are not like the grocery store variety. The meat has a stronger flavor, the pork chops that you get at the grocery store could almost be passed off as chicken they are so mild. These taste like pork is supposed to taste like.

Quote:They do get just a tad bitter in the worst heat of the summer but not to bad. I cook mine with bacon drippings, onions, chicken broth, a pinch of sugar and just add a little vinegar to the cooking liquid and it takes care of the bitterness.

We had temps over 100 degrees F. every day for over a month this summer and one of the worst droughts this state has seen in over 100 years and my collard never looked better. Unless you live right next door to Hell I don't think you would have any problem growing them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by