1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BEWARE chicks and teflon!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenKatie, Mar 28, 2009.

  1. ChickenKatie

    ChickenKatie Out Of The Brooder

    14
    0
    22
    Mar 18, 2009
    Thought I would share: I recently hatched about two dozen perfectly healthy chickens. They were all killed from the fumes from cooking with teflon (non-stick) pans!! Beware!! I had no idea this could happen, but I have thrown out all my non-stick and this batch of babies, about 1 week old, have had no issues whatsoever! Be cautious when using teflon to cook if you have your brooder in the house!
     
  2. birdlover

    birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG] What a sad thing to have happen! I'm so sorry. I learned about teflon years ago when I kept cockatiels and it was common knowledge on the tiel site that non-stick ANYthing (irons, waffle makers, etc.) can be lethal to birds. Thank you for calling attention to this!!! [​IMG]
     
  3. tellynpeep

    tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

    970
    20
    151
    Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    They are just the "canaries in the coal mine." Teflon fumes are bad for us too! Toss all that non-stick cookware; it's very toxic. There is, I believe, a huge (billions $) lawsuit pending with DuPont over this.
     
  4. chicklady63

    chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

    227
    1
    111
    Feb 10, 2009
    I'm so sorry this happened to you. I threw all teflon that I owned away years ago and opted for stainless steel. (Aluminum apparently has connections to Alzheimer's disease - it's in deoderant or antiperspirant, I forget which, also). I just thought that the food cooked in them would absorb the bad properties. I certainly did not realize the fumes were toxic that way though...wonder about those fumes on the rest of us living creatures. So many bad things out there now...
    Sorry again about your chicks.
     
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  5. jonesgirl

    jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

    256
    3
    131
    Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    aww how sad!

    Teflon is killer... A human can die from it too, if you end up eating too much of it... ( when it starts scraping off your pan I guess)
     
  6. warmfuzzies

    warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    What about the eggs?? I have my incubator in the Kitchen, and I always use nonstick pans. I knew this about them, but forgot.

    I have not got great hatch rates. I was thrilled, but they werent great. About 50-60% both times. I had a lot of eggs die about ten days both times. I wonder????????
     
  7. chicklady63

    chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

    227
    1
    111
    Feb 10, 2009
    Sounds like a plausible explanation to me. I have my incubator in the powder room of my master bath as it has the most stable temps in our home (and my dogs can't get to it and accidentally knock the plug from the wall). I always make certain to go elsewhere to spray my hair whenever I am getting ready for work in the mornings. I worry about those fumes as well.
     
  8. WriterofWords

    WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

    13,212
    26
    313
    Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm sorry that happened to you. How do you know for sure it was your Teflon? I use it all the time and my chicks inside are fine, my animals are fine, we are too. Now before everyone attacks me I'm asking an honest question here, I'd like to know for sure how you can tell that is what killed them.
     
  9. lisahaschickens

    lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I accidentally killed a cockatiel I had in college with teflon, which is how I learned about this. Then, when my baby chickies were a week old (on Valentine's Day this year), I was cooking us heart-shaped pancakes (awww!) and the pan started smoking and a little alarm bell went off in my head - OH NO!! TEFLON!!! OPEN THE WINDOWS!!!! I stopped cooking, dunked the pan in cold water, and we ran around venting the house. Luckily all the babies made it, but I was SO scared that I had killed them all while making breakfast. After that, I always remembered and never cooked with Teflon again while they were still in the house. And it is true that scratched teflon puts bad chemicals in our food that we cook as well (the fumes are mostly just harmful to birds). I plan to get a set of the new non-stick ceramic, chemical-free pans that just came out. My mom has one and loves it and it is even more non-stick than teflon! The new pans are expensive, though, so I am holding out to register for them for my wedding [​IMG] Until then, I just minimize when I use them... but I do still use them a bit.

    This is a great post, though. I wish I had thought to post the warning after my lesson learned (years ago) and my very recent scare! Thanks for thinking to share the info!
     
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  10. EweSheep

    EweSheep Flock Mistress

    21,917
    69
    418
    Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Teflon is BAD for birds and humans if you eat the chips off the pans. Too many people keep using those scratched up Teflon pans UGH! Also you can NOT cook Teflon in high heat, only for low and med heat, no more!

    I dont have any Teflon and gave them all away. Swap with all my pans for iron skillets, no worries even if you burn food LOL!

    This warning has been around for a long time but DuPont dont want to create waves with their pans on recalls.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by