BEWARE - HOMEOWNERS INS WILL DROP YOU NOW IF YOU HAVE A HOBBY FARM!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pips&peeps, Jan 22, 2009.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    We found out yesterday that our homeowners will be dropping us come renewal time because we have "four horses" and my "chickens".

In trying to locate another provider, I was told that insurance companies will not cover you if you have more than two horses now and because I sold eggs the risk of spreading salmonella was just too much of a chance.

So do not disclose any unnecessary information to your insurance agent! I am trying to find coverage now and prospects look dim unless I want to go commercial.

If anyone out there has a policy and has their flock covered at a reasonable price let me know.

Thanks,

2. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I've heard this before. We just don't talk about it our chickens.

We've been dropped in the past for having burning wood.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's crazy!!!

My insurance guy knows we have a fireplace,... I wonder if that ups the premium.

Mums the word on the chickens...

My kids and I can't wait to get those Blue Ameracaunas of Jeans. It's all my 14 year old talks about. We gave away our game roo and two big hens to make room for them, but I'm going to make a breeding pen just for them!!!

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yes, fireplaces and pools and trampolines can up your insurance risk. (Yes, trampolines... When I was a kid, my dad got rid of ours so he could pay less money on our insurance. We were soooo mad at him!)

5. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    and only certain breeds of dogs.

6. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Quote:Dogs will vary. We were denied renewal due to the breeds we had and went with another company that only asked "has any of your dogs ever bitten..."

7. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    We have chickens and a wood stove and just got re-approved for four years. [​IMG]

8. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My friend's insurance company threatened to drop them because of their trampoline...so they had to get rid of it. [​IMG] The kids were very upset! I've never heard about the hobby farm being a problem...I hope mine doesn't mind chickens and maybe some goats...

9. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    [​IMG] Try insuring a log home with wood heat...it took me weeks to find an insurance company that would take us after we bought this house and we bought it under a 'no conditions contract' so we couldn't even back out! Log homes are very diificult to get insurance on.

10. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

I have no problems insuring this hobby farm with Farm Bureau Insurance.

My agent comes out once a year to see what I'm up to, what I have done and take current pictures.

I think it is called "Country estate" coverage, only requirement is you have to have 10 acres. I have 30. Not only do I have chickens, I also have hogs, dogs a rabbit and cat.....they don't care.

I heat my shop with wood, they don't care. I have a swimming pool, only requirement was that it had railing and gates installed.

I'd suggest looking into them for your "Country Estate" insurance, I am more than pleased.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by