Beware of Numbered Leg Clips/Bands !

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FarmLady323, Nov 4, 2016.

1. FarmLady323

FarmLady323 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2016
    Just a note to let people know that yesterday I put a leg band (the hard plastic clip kind) on one of my hens and this morning she was on her side in pain and couldn't walk.
    I thought she had broken her leg somehow. Then I noticed that her leg band was missing.
    I evaluated her leg for injuries and found that the leg band had gone up to her thigh area and was pinching her terribly.
    As soon as I took it off she acted like nothing had ever happened (after she snuggled to me, thanking me :)

I just never thought that would happen and wanted to let others know.

Cheers,
    Susan

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This is why I stopped trying to use leg bands. I've had some scary experiences also, namely, not noticing when a band got too small and cut off circulation, and also had one slip down and wrap around the toes on a baby chick.

Now I just use magic markers or nail polish, reapplying every so often as needed.

So glad you noticed what was happening and successfully rescued your girl!

3. FarmLady323

Mar 18, 2016
    OMGosh !!!

Wow...who knew.
    Thanks for your feedback and further info.
    I'll start using the alternative methods you mentioned.

I was very relieved that I could help her and that she wasn't injured.

Thanks Friend !
    Susan

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I do use the plastic numbered spiral bands, and generally like them. BUT they must be watched, and they do fall off. I had a cock injured by a band that moved above his hock a few years ago. He needed wound management while healing, and did fine, but it's definitely something to be aware of. I've never been willing to use the clip on wing bands, or toe clip, and have too many birds to have nail polish be useful. Memory and record keeping are issues! How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Marek's disease? Which white bird is she, really? I'd love a perfectly safe option too. Mary

5. FarmLady323

Mar 18, 2016
    This is all pretty new to me and I'm hoping to become a streamlined flock keeper with no injuries to my babies :)

My Brother always said (he has a 10 acre farm in Mich.) "If you have livestock, you're gonna have deadstock."
    I hate that thought and will be trying everything to avoid that at all costs.

I still think of those precious ones I have failed :(

Good luck in your "chicken endeavors."

Cheers,
    Susan

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No doubt, any kind of leg bands need to be watched.
    There are many risks in life, and keeping livestock(the brother is correct).... leg bands I will risk, free ranging I won't.
    We all make choices for risks we are comfortable with.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by