Beware of the Chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Daisygirl, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    It was a normal day...Daisy and Henrietta were dustbathing under the avocado tree, Peppi was roosting on the top of the run, and the rest were digging for grubs under the bushes.
    Stella, the two year old cat, watzes accross the lawn, nose and tail held high. Then she reached the middle of the lawn...
    Peppi quickly hops down from her roost, brings the other girls into formation, and leads a party over to investigate. Quickly assuming that the cat was a danger, she goes into attack mode.
    With the girls in formation, they drive the "enemy" off their leafy paradise. Poor Stella baby...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    [​IMG]

what a sight that must have been! our guineas stalk the cat, but you are gifted in how you worded that- wonderful image comes to mind- and how did stella react?

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    [​IMG] You gotta love 'em though! [​IMG] They all make me smile, they just brighten a persons day all around. [​IMG]

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

MY cats know better by now.

The neighbors' cats . . . . not so much!

Although it's not the hens ganging up on the so much as the cats think they're gonna do somethin and when the hen squalks about it the rooster comes to the "rescue"

5. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Poor baby Stella made a hasty retreat, fluffed tail between legs, rushing to tell me how absolutely ATROCIOS those feathered things were...priceless look on that little face. [​IMG]
    So true, Emzyyy. Daisy was trying to figure out what the outdoor fireplace was for - she had perched herself on the edge of the woodpile, and was gazing up into the tunnel that apparently goes nowhere [​IMG]
    Thankyou for the replies!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  6. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    I took my chickens out to market day. I sell free-range eggs, so why not have my babes out there to show them off?
    Daisy and Shirley strutted around the little dog cage for a bit. I opened the door, feathery masses pushing against it...
    And a sparrow landed RIGHT OUTSIDE the dog cage. My carefully planned, slow introduction to the marketplace is ruined...
    They took off, of course. Right after that little twittery thing, tails wagging, wings flapping.
    They caused quite a spectacle.
    (the sparrow got away, but not my breakfast, which I had dropped. Haven't you heard, paper napkins are 'in' this season for carrying in one's beak all day...)
    Also, I was right next to the lady who JUST HAPPENED to sell plants. Her new selling technique - "Yes, this plant (can't remember the name) is incredibly hardy. Withstands all weather conditions, and nothing eats it except those two chickens...".
    By the end of the day, the chickies stayed AWAY from the delicious strawberry plants - - in favour of the kids feeding them vegies begged from the vege stall... [​IMG]

The plant lady's daughter also works at a nursery. And they have free-range chickens. One in paticular, Roger, was named after the manager of the nursery. Last I'd heard, Roger went broody.

Aparantly this "henpecked" roo is not, in fact, a rooster...

7. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Quote:Same here. I don't have a rooster tho, so Peppi will do for my "guard hen".
    Stella is a bit---well---green, I think. Something feathery that is too big to eat is a bit too much of a concept for her to grasp...I'd give her another few months, and then she'll figure it out [​IMG]
    Max, my other cat, worked it out the day one pecked him on the nose...and it hurts when they peck!!! I'm surprised he's not still cross-eyed... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by