1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

BEWARE of these thermostaticly controlled switches

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jakell2010, Dec 19, 2011.

1. jakell2010

jakell2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    I had one of those Thermocubes that are supposed to come on at 35degrees and go off at 45,,,,well I went out to feed yesterday, and the water was frozen solid??,,,I think what's going on , and the complete switch had caught fire, tripped the breaker and fused the terminals on my extension cord.

If you'd like to see it go to my uploaded images,,,,,if it had been inside the coop, there would be no coop, this thing caught fire and the plastic melted

click on my BYC page then view uploaded images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I found,,,and no it was not overloaded, it had one ceramic 18"X18" ceramic heater plugged into it, there was a standard aluminum water defroster that was on the same line but not plugged into this thermo cube,,,,It has it's own thermo switch built in, and the extension cord was 10guage wire, that I use to use to run the block heaters on my diesel

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

woah! call the company! it may have been defective and you may be letting them know about a problem with their product

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I've got everything plugged into GFCI breakers (not the same as surge protectors as some think). If they detect any sort of overload at all it shuts all the power off. That picture is scary!

4. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Scary-glad everyone is ok.

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:x2 That's insane. I bought one of those once and never felt it worked. Glad there wasn't a tragic ending to this story. Definitely call the manufacturer and file a report.

6. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    How many amps does a thermo-cube say it can handle?.. Looks like this plug took 50 amps or so.... What did you have plugged into it if I might ask?? At least the metal melted so the current stopped... Otherwise you would be having broiled chicken tonight!

7. Eznet2u

Eznet2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    GFCI breakers detect an interruption of current, but do not detect current overloads.

I had an Aquarium heater do basically the same thing. Melted the outlet and wires.
    Fused the plug to the outlet. GFCI's will only trip if there is an imbalance. With an
    overload, there is no imbalance, just an excess of current.

8. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Sheesh....I just bought one of these too. [​IMG]

Now I'm not so confindent to use it. [​IMG]

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Sheesh....I just bought one of these too.

Now I'm not so confindent to use it

I have several that I have been using for years and never had any problems.​

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    How many amps does a thermo-cube say it can handle?.

They are rated for 15 amps​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by