Beware Snapfish offers

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HEChicken, Jan 15, 2010.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I have been a Snapfish customer for several years - I order calendars from them as Christmas gifts for my family. They periodically send me emails offering discounts, usually for either free shipping or a percent off my order. This year, as usual, I ordered calendars in December. On Dec 26th, they sent me an email that said: Our biggest sale of the year is here Enjoy up to 40% off all your favorite photo gifts like cards, books, and calendars. And turn your fun holiday memories into treasured keepsakes. Just use coupon WINTER40 at checkout by January 15.* So this morning, being the 15th, I decided to go ahead and order one more calendar. Only, having created the calendar (takes a little time to upload photos and arrange them, as well as add in personal dates), I got to the checkout, entered the code and got a message that the code is not valid on this order.

So I contacted live chat. They said that due to "technical difficulties", that coupon would not work and offered me another coupon for 35% off. Huh? First you offer me 40%, then tell me since that's not working you'll offer me 35% instead? I was polite but told him this was false advertising, which is illegal, and after a very long pause (presumably he was off talking to managers about the nutcase on live chat [​IMG] ) he came back and said that if I placed the order using the 35% coupon, he would manually credit me for the additional 5%. So I did.

Skip forward 30 minutes and I get the confirmation email about the credit, but the figure didn't look right. So I pull out the calculator and....it doesn't add up to 5%. So I do one more calculation and figure he credited me for 5% of the amount AFTER the original credit. Now for those of you who are not good at math, if you take 35% of a figure and then take 5% of that, you do NOT get 40% of the total. My total discount therefore, amounted to only 38%.

I know, I know, I'm spending way too much time on this but by now they've made me mad. So I go back to live chat where a different agent argues that "Please note that the discount is calculated on the Subtotal of your order." I explained politely that doing so does not add up to 40% of the original price but he held his ground. In the end I told him that the only reason I placed the order was because of the 40% offer, and if they were not going to honor that offer, he could just go ahead and cancel the whole order and refund everything I'd paid. His next response was that he would credit me the remainder. Since I started typing this, I've received a second email confirming the second credit.

All told, I've spent about an hour just dealing with customer service and trying to get them to honor an offer they emailed to me. And an hour of my time is not worth the money I "saved" on this calendar. So I just wanted to issue a warning to you: check amounts carefully. I like their products but don't like their business practices. I believe I'll be looking elsewhere to make my calendars next year.

2. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    That's annoying! It's funny because their business people apparently can't even do math.

I ordered a (rather expensive) camera gear bag from Jill-e with Christmas money back at the end of December. They were having a sale and there was a coupon code I saw listed online for another percentage off. It made the total something like $165 with free shipping instead of $240 plus shipping! I was so excited because I'm poor and that's an amazing deal. I really needed a quality bag for my photography gear.

I put the coupon code in at check out, it took the extra percentage off, I put in my CC number and paid, I got an email receipt, etc.

A few days later, after their sale ended, I got a random email saying my order had been canceled because the coupon code was invalid and if I wanted the item I would have to place my order over again and pay full price.

Definitely didn't order from them. [​IMG]

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I recommend shutterfly. I've used them for calendars and photo books for years and have had great success. [​IMG]

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'll give Shutterfly a try for next year's calendars. The first time I ever did this, I used PhotoWorks and had no problems with them. The only reason I switched to Snapfish was I liked their calendar template designs better. Then, since they save your dates for you, adding the dates each year is as easy as checking the box next to each date, instead of having to type them all in again. But this is actually the second time I've had Snapfish try to get out of honoring a coupon. The first time I wasn't too concerned because the guy on live chat immediately apologized and credited me the difference. But with it happening a second time, it feels more like its a business practice than a one-time error, and then with trying to get out of crediting the FULL amount, they lost a customer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by