Beware the Facial Piercing!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by columbiacritter, May 12, 2011.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My friend had to rush her teenage daughter to Urgent Care last night when the roo she was cuddling ripped her nose stud out! One swift peck and no more nose stud for her for a long time accordign to the doctor that treated her nose. She'll be lucky if she doesn't have a scar. The doctor said it was the first facial piercing vs. chicken incident he's had to clean up.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Shiny things! Shiny things! Faces close to chickens - not good.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Ouch, hope she heals fast.

I sound like a broken record, but I recommend NEVER letting a chicken anywhere near your face. They are particularly fond of shiny eyeballs.

4. Prudence and Pearl

Prudence and Pearl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    my little chicks try to get at my lip ring haha now when they get bigger it wont be nearly as cute

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have lots of ear piercings and have to watch them for that too!

6. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    This is sorta funny and sorta not because I had a chick hanging from my lip ring earlier. I hope she heals up well. I know how bad piercings can scar when they get ripped out.

7. BCBunnies

BCBunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I hope she's okay and doesn't have any serious scarring with it. I didn't even think about that I'm so used to the goats and rabbits and we never had any friendly chickens that we could hold before. I intend these I'm getting in to be friendly though so I'll make sure I keep them away from my ears I'd hate to have these ripped out as big as they are. [​IMG]
    We'll be wishing her well here in Texas.

8. NewOldMotherHen

NewOldMotherHen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Ouch! Thanks for the warning. I hope she heals quickly.

9. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I have a "monroe" piercing in my upper lip. My chickens have gone after it a few times. I guess they got bored with it though...they don't even pay attention to it anymore.
    That must really suck though...but at least it's a unique story!

10. triplej

triplej Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Thank you so, so much for this warning!! New chicken mom here and this is something I wouldn't have thought of worrying about.

I hardly ever wear earrings and I don't know if it will be an issue for my son, he has gauges in his ears. I am going to tell him of this post, nonetheless.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by