1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Beware: Tractor Supply Co. chicks are NOT vaccinated--never

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by albngore, Jul 29, 2017.

1. albngore

albngore In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2017
    Gem County, Idaho
    Never buy un-vaccinated chicks from anywhere. Several diseases are endemic to almost all poultry flocks whether you have problems with this or not. Marek's disease in particular is devastating. Salmonella is also pervasive.

Chickens can be carriers without developing physical signs. Young chicks are absolutely susceptible. Vaccination will not necessarily prevent introduced chicks from getting a disease--but, if they do contract one they might survive. Vaccination builds immunity, but is not 100% defensive. Same as for humans.

Marek's is horrible to experience, often with 100% morbidity. And it is almost impossible for the backyard poultry producer to eradicate it. Vaccinating chicks at a day old is our only hope to avoid this disease. Marek's is endemic in this country--even in commercial flocks. It ain't a pretty thing to endure.

CapricornFarm likes this.
  2. WannabeFarmer5

WannabeFarmer5 Songster

Jul 11, 2017
    None of my chickens are vaccinated I have 5 years to 1 week what should I do?

penny1960 likes this.
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging 9 Years

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I do NOT like this way of thinking. Immunity / resistance can be realized through selection when you breed your own birds. If you outsource only, then such thinking may be appropriate in high disease settings. My birds have endured just about everything and have been doing so much longer than we have even recognized the existence of diseases that impact chickens.

4. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2017
    The Tree Farm, Alberta
    I never gave my hens medicated feed, and they were not vaccinated for Marek's or Cocci. I found out I was "supposed" to, but I didn't. My hens are healthy, and nobody's gotten sick from the eggs, so...... :confused:

5. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Decades of no vaccinations and no medicated feed and no problems.

6. WannabeFarmer5

WannabeFarmer5 Songster

Jul 11, 2017
    This is of topic but nice avatar!:love

Beer can likes this.
  7. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Songster

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    None of my chickens are vaccinated no problems here.I dont use medicated feed either.Letting them roll around in dirt is the best vaccination.I would only recommend vaccinations to people who keep there chickens in small cages with no access to dirt and bugs.

mockingbird and lazy gardener like this.
  8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Your post contains a lot of hyperbole and misrepresentation of fact.

AUChickenGal and lazy gardener like this.
  9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I have never used medicated feed. Never had a single loss due to Coccidiosis. I have never had a chicken vaccinated for Marek's disease in my flock. And if I were faced with the option of purchasing a chick that was vaccinated, or a chick that was NOT vaccinated, I would choose the unvaccinated chick, and walk away if the only choice was a vaccinated chick.

I urge the OP as well as all readers to do their homework before deciding to use medicated or unmedicated feed, or to vaccinate, or NOT vaccinate their chicks. There are plenty of options for ensuring that your flock has strong immunity to all pathogens. They include: early exposure to local pathogens and beneficial microbes during the 2 week window of opportunity after hatch. Exposing chickens to local wild turkey populations or soil that has been frequented by wild turkeys. Ensuring that your flock has plenty of room. Not keeping your flock on bare soil. And using fermented feed.

Check out this publication:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/tthis-chicken-vaccine-makes-virus-dangerous/

10. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I have never vaccinated never had a sick bird I sorry but feel your post is overstepping causing fear and problems

Ol Grey Mare and lazy gardener like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: