BEWARE who you hire to watch your flock & your other animals

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenmomma2, Oct 24, 2017.

1. chickenmomma2

chickenmomma2 Chirping

May 27, 2012
    Hi! Just wanted to give a heads up on who you hire to take care of your flock. I made the mistake of hiring a family friend to take care of the flock and feed my cats.

Long story short...the chickens got out of the run. One of my cats is currently in the hospital close to death because this person didn't water my cats. The cost is going to be between $600 & $800.

This college kid, who've I known her entire life clearly did not do what she was suppose to do. My first warning sign, which I ignored, (stupid me) was she was texting someone while I was giving her instructions. The second warning sign was that she was going to get her sister, the chicken whisperer, to help her.

Upon return home I found the refrigerator that eggs are kept in left open, all cat food gone that was enough to last a couple more days and chickens who were stressed.

PLEASE, please, PLEASE.....learn from my mistake and research your sitter carefully. Luckily I didn't lose any chickens but I may lose one of my cats.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry for your experience, and this is why I use a licensed, insured pet caretaker whenever we leave home.

3. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I use the neighbors, they're in there 70's. Last time i had them watch the girls i came home to the entire flock on their sunporch. They said they just felt better keeping an eye on them closer to their house. I'm sorry your sitter was a dud,and I hope your kitty pulls through. :hugs

4. dawnmt70

dawnmt70 Chirping

Dec 7, 2016
    Billings, Montana
    Makes me grateful for my friends that have cared for my zoo. I get fun texts a couple times of day telling me which animals are throwing parties and who was requesting 6 course meals.

5. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Wow, what a bummer. I hope she at least tries to help with the vet bills since she is the cause of them. I am very lucky to have great neighbors who keep chickens, too, so we help each other out when I or they are away. Otherwise I don't know what I'd do.

nminusyplusm likes this.
  6. User495506

User495506 In the Brooder

Oct 20, 2017
    South central PA
    WOW. That sounds unbelievable. We have a neighbor homeschool kid watch ours and she does great. She's really into birds in general.

Also, don't leave this guy in charge of the hen house no matter how much he may want to!
    upload_2017-10-24_14-45-47.png

Chickassan, dawnmt70 and JedJackson like this.
  7. Kusanar

Kusanar Crowing

Apr 30, 2014
    Roanoke area, Va.

8. Rubysword

Rubysword Crowing

Apr 19, 2017
    USMA, NY
    I am so sorry for you! We were blessed with amazing neighbors who came over several times before we left to address different questions about everything that could possibly happen to the chickens. I hope your cat pulls through!

9. Wolfgang B.

Wolfgang B. Songster

Oct 2, 2017
    Stuttgart
    How long were you gone? We have 2 cats and we provide them with enough water and food for the entire time we're gone in case something happens to the sitter.

as110, Smuvers Farm and nminusyplusm like this.
  10. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold or Swan Pond
    I always leave mine with my neighbors- neighbors who I have seen their flock and know that my pets will be safe with them.
    You can buy automatic waterers for the cats, you fill it full before you leave and there are some big ones out there. You can do the same with feeders. I will be praying for your cat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: