Bexley, Ohio? Chicken Ordinances?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by JessicainOhio, Aug 8, 2010.

1. JessicainOhio

JessicainOhio Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Does anyone have any info on ordinances pertaining to backyard chickens in Bexley, Ohio?
    I can't find anything on-line.
    Is it better to ask permission or forgiveness (assuming my neighbors are on-board)?

Also, does anyone have internet or off-line search suggestions? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

Thanks!
    -Jessica

2. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I emailed the code enforcement officer, and I will let you know.

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    HI!! I went to High School in Bexley!! I have been gone from there for 18 years now, though, so I can't help you with the chicken laws. Although I would be a big surpirsed if they allow them - good luck!

4. JessicainOhio

Aug 8, 2010
    Thanks for emailing the code officer!

He's familiar with my house already. A neighbor called the city on us because we had toads mating in the backyard this spring. Anyone familiar with mating toads knows they're louder than car alarms! In fact, my neighbor thought we had an alarm going off in the back yard. He was pretty good-natured about the ruckus once he found out it was just a bunch of amorous toads. (I think this coming spring I'll make a little newsletter for the busy-body neighbors letting them know what to expect). Anyway, this gives you an idea of how nutty Bexley can be.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  5. nonseq

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Here's Code's reply:

There are no regulations against having chickens in your yard. They do fall under the animal control ordinances so I believe you cannot have more that four and conditions must be kept sanitary. I am unsure of the specific code section for number of pets but you can browse all of the city's codes on line or contact the animal control officer at 614-559-4475.

David W. Hays
    Code Enforcement/Fire Safety Officer
    City of Bexley
    614-559-4247 office
    614-296-2878 mobile
    614-559-4241 fax

So there you go.

I would check the Gen Offenses Ordinances and adhere to the four dog/cat limit and the specifications for pigeon yards. The Codes are under Public Documents - City Council - Laws & Codified Ordinances.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  6. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Go for it!!

7. nonseq

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    You know what? If snooty old Bexley allows chickens, it certainly bolsters my case for chickens in my town.

no offense to Bexlyites....[​IMG]

8. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Totally true, it's okay. Still love that snotty place, and I am so shocked they allow chickens. It'll be good for them.

9. JessicainOhio

Aug 8, 2010
    I talked to the City Whatever Guy (who's a family friend and kind of vice Mayor). He said the City Council is taking up the issue in September. I plan to go. Is there anyone who knows a lot about the legal side of things that can give me a little coaching? My hunch is that they'd pass something banning the whole thing if no one was looking -- but I don't want to go in guns-blazing and make it into something it's not. I think the way things are is probably best! But if there's going to be legislation, I'd like to have it easy to understand and simple to follow. (Recall, Bexley just passed a ordinance requiring bike helmets, so...).

Also, our plan was to get something going in the spring, but now I'm tempted to do it NOW before any ordinances are passed so we're grandfathered in!

10. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    That might not be a bad idea. Then you can even offer to let them see how clean and nice your chickens are. Unfortunately September is right around the corner, so depending on what age chickens you get, you probably won't have eggs to bring yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by