Beyond recovery...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShinShien, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ShinShien

ShinShien Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    That being said. What's the most humane way to euthanize a chicken? My speckled Sussex has had sour crop for over a week now. None of the DIY natural remedies have helped, and the vet can't see her until Monday. (like she'll live that long). She's puffed-up, listless, keeps her eyes squeezed shut, pooping the green stomach's-empty (i think) poops and her crop's the big squishy water balloon consistency. I can't watch this anymore; she's just wasting away. [​IMG]

2. ChickonInc

ChickonInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I hate to say but. Chop her head off with a axe. Its quick and easy or break her neck. It sounds so mean. but just do it. She'll be relieved of all pain in heaven. Then bury her somewhere that she loved. (not in the coop) Its hard to watch but, pet her and say its okay then do it. Breaking her neck is better though. No blood or nutin

3. ChickonInc

ChickonInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    heres what someone said: grab the head with the comb in the palm and thunmb in the throat and pull. Make sure you snap it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by