BF parents kept all the gifts!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by ams3651, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Because my boyfriend is still away and I dont speak to his parents, and vice versa, I sent a Christmas gift to their house one for them and one for each of his siblings families. I just heard from his sister in law today, she said the parents just loved the giftS I sent them. WHAT! I sent them a note telling them they were for everyone, my boyfriend said she even told him about it. I cant believe they kept them. Im so mad. Thank heaven his sister in law speaks to me or I wouldnt know and they would think I left them out.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, unfortunately why didn't your bf set it right? I would question that. Take this as a hard horrible lesson that you'd think would never need to be learned, don't send anything to the parents unless its all for them. Geeesh.
    Not the same thing, but my DH younger brother (44 yr old no less) seems to take from family what he wants. So this year we gave DH a telescoping ladder, expensive- as one of his gifts, and he was going to take it and show it off. But said he may only want to take the box because BIL would keep it for himself. Well holy Hannah, I think not. I went into a rage and rant about I bought the ladder for DH not BIL or I would have given it to him already and if that ladder didn't keep possession in DH someone was going to have the wrath of me.
    Like your in-laws, what the heck make them think everything is theirs! UGH.
    Sorry to take that moment away from you, but I'd drop a note asking his mom and dad how EVERYONE liked their gifts, seeings you hadn't heard anything from them if they liked or didn't like their gifts you sent! [​IMG] <weg> [​IMG]

3. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Im only able to talk to him once a week and I just found out today what happened. I wont talk to him till MAYBE saturday. I dont have all his siblings addresses and it would have cost much more to send them individually. I never thought they would have kept them.

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am sorry they did that to you. Do you think they did it intenionally? I have to admit that I would have sent them all to one place too. It is alot cheaper and easier. I am glad you got a chance to explain it to the SIL. In my first marriage I had in-laws like your BF parents. In my experience it did NOT get better, only worse. It is one of the reasons we are not together now. I hope for your sake it gets better. Can you call them and explain? Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

5. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i dont have his sisters phone number or his parents (we already have issues with them not understanding about our sons medical issues) basically SIL is the only one I have contact with only because she has adopted kids with some of the same needs and understands. I will mention it to BF when I talk to him maybe he can mention it when he talks to his parents. Even though they dont talk to me I was trying to make a nice gesture but I guess from now on I should expect stuff like this.

one of the other reasons i sent it there is that they all get together Christmas day at the parents house, I thought it would be convenient.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    I think you should talk with your BF and have him straighten everything out with his parents. That way he will handle it the best way for his family and it takes you out of the equation. It would also be less stressful for you. In the future, I would send everyone's gift directly to them to keep from having problems.

[​IMG]

7. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    according to SIL she misunderstood the note, which Im not sure how, so anyway she knows I tried, mom's happy with the gift, told BF to tell his sister what happened so she knows but at this point theres no use in straightening it out.

8. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Sounds like a good old fashioned case of miscommunication. I'm guessing they would be horrified to find out that the presents weren't intended for them. Don't assume the worst, and just look it as putting some money in the Karma bank. There's nothing wrong with having you boyfriends parents actually LIKING you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by