Bi-Product Chicken Feed

kfacres

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2011
With laying mash being slightly expensive, for our poor budget of recent college graduation, and new jobs... Is there anyone out their mixing their own rations with any bi-product feeds like gluten, SB meal, or cottonseed hulls? This would be suppliment to free ranging laying hens, who get couped at night, and when they decide to quite laying in the boxes.

Last edited:
I would say stay away from bi products if at all possible. They could have had chemicals added to them when they were processed and it's not worth the risk. Remember what they eat you will to eat by consuming their eggs. If you mix your own with what you listed I don't think you can meet their nutrition requirements. I would stick with the layer mash.

How are you defining the word "bi-product"?

You could call a lot of feed stuff a "bi-product", depending on how strict you are going to be on the define the word "bi-product".
You could call Fish meal, Meat Meal, and Whey a "bi-product" and you just eliminated 3 souses of much needed animal protein out of your feed, now you could also call Egg shells, Fruit and Vegetable waste including pealing, and grass clippings a "bi-product" now you just eliminated 4 more souses of nutrients.
wink.png

Soot you could call Oats and Wheat a "bi-product" of Straw if you wanted to.
wink.png

Chris

Quote:
You must be organic then, cuz obviously you are not consuming any dairy products or meat if you are worried that what we people eat is directly from the food source of that animal. I see no difference between feeding bi-product feeds to animals and consuming their flesh-- or to birds and eating their eggs/ meat. I bet you would be suprised if you actually read your feed tag label, I haven't yet but will as soon as I get home tonight.

You do realize that somebody just like you and I, calculated and figured up that ration that's in the layer mash... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the same again, with different ingredients. What I am after is seeing if anyone else have tried this out on a large scale, mainly the commerical production producers.

Quote:
I'm talking alternative sources of protein and energy to corn and SB meal- the two most common ingredients in any ration- and also the most 2 expensive... I'm talking Corn Gluten, Distillers (which I don't think would work for poultry), Fish meal, Meat Meal, Whey, sb hulls, cottonseed hulls, wheat midlings, brewer's grain, or anything else of the matter of protein or energy...

For range poulty, I'm debating whether or not they even need anything at all, other than the days they remain couped up... which are slim to none.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Are you saying that Corn and Bean Meal expensive?

Quote:
Your calling these "bi-product", Right?
Quote:
Even "Free Ranging" poultry need supplemental feed.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Are you saying that Corn and Bean Meal expensive?

Quote:
Your calling these "bi-product", Right?
Quote:
Even "Free Ranging" poultry need supplemental feed.

Chris

I'm not sure where you are from, but with corn being $9+ a bushell in IL the cornbelt- ya that's pretty hefty price-- even for I a farmer of 2000+ acres. You can make far more profit selling that corn, and buying something cheaper for livestock feed. BM has also jacked up in price. I can remember just a few years ago we were complaining about 2$ corn.

Yes that list is bi-product feeds, according to every source I've ever read.

Here is my grammar lesson for the day:

The prefix "bi" infers two, twice, half.

The prefix "by" implies next to.

In the feed industry a "BY-product" is an ingredient from a process that is not the result of the direct manufacture of the product. A good example is Bakery By-Product, bakers do not adjust their manufacutring process to gain a Bakery By-Product, rather this ingredient is a mix of products (excess runs, off spec, out of date) to meet a specific nutrient specification.

In contrast, Soybean Meal is a CO-Product of the Soybean Oil Manufacture. The Soy Crusher monitors the process in their plant to ensure that both the soybean oil and soybean meal products are simultaneously produced to specific criteria.

The feed industry will continue to use By-Products in an attempt to reduce feed costs.

Jim

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Which elevator is payint $9 for corn? I'll ship them some if they are paying that much, our local bid is between $7.45 and $7.75.

Jim

Did either of those answer my question, or did you just want to poke and jab?

Sorry, but next time I'm looking for a dictionary, I'll just get on here instead.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom