Bib-size on Swedish ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BeakSanctuary, Oct 23, 2008.

1. BeakSanctuary

BeakSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    I'm referring to the white-chested part of the duck here. Let me explain.

I bought a barnyard combination from McMurray in the spring and they sent me three ducks as part of the order. That being the case, I never knew what kind I'd received.

Not being an expert, I tuned in on Swedish ducks thinking I had the "black" variant. The ones I have look a lot like pictures of Blue Swedish, except they're black with a very huge white bib - about the whole front or down to where the navel would be if they had one, lol.

Took me quite a while, to include getting real Blue Swedish, to realize that the bibs on all I have of those are much smaller, not at all covering the whole front.

The point is, what else could the black/white ones be? Does this sound like any other breed? Maybe some Swedish really do have these big bibs? They have a few "splash" black spots on their heads, too, which I still thought was OK for a black or splash variant of Blue Swedish. I don't think they're muscovies, but they do hold their own in the company of the geese and it's the geese of all my birds they're bonded to.

2. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have any pics? It would really help. [​IMG]

3. BeakSanctuary

Aug 31, 2008
    Yes, finally!

[​IMG]

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    black sweedish, magpie ,ancona maybe ?

You have to remeber these are hatchery birds so they are not correct in the color pattersn,bib size , etc

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  5. BeakSanctuary

Aug 31, 2008
    Thanks for your thoughts on what they could be.

I looked into what anconas look like recently also (will look at magpies next). My two were from MMH and they both look like this rather than having a random black/white color distribution I guess anconas have so I lean towards the black variation of blue swedish. Still wondering, too. Either way, they quack a lot and are cute so not that important to know, relatively. [​IMG]

6. BeakSanctuary

Aug 31, 2008
    And not only that (meaning slight+ imperfections) talking about hatchery birds, but in fact these came as part of a "barnyard combination" of 16 birds for $55, 2 geese (they sent 3), 2 ducks (they sent 3), 2 turkeys, and 10 brown egg-laying chickens (10 turkens of which 2 were males). Pretty many birds for $55 even desite not getting to pick out which breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by