bickering between 2010 and 2011 guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by southern oaks, Feb 16, 2012.

1. southern oaks

southern oaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    my 2010 guineas had a boss. he is my buff. Now that my past years are out with them my royal purple seems to want to battle for the title. I see my buff going off alone a lot and i don't like that, as they usually are all together. at night its a battle to get the buff to go in with the others. after a few days pass they act ok again. then it starts all over again.. hmmm [​IMG] is this because it is close to breeding season and the royal wants to be top bird?? never had a problem with mixing them before..

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I'd say yes, breeding season/pecking order squabbles. If you can catch and cage the worst RP offender for a while, you might be able to let them rearrange the pecking order and let the Buff have his place back. If things continue even after you separate the bully for a while... that RP may need to be re-homed, (or sent to freezer camp). I swear the male Guineas ALL lose what little minds they have during the breeding season!

3. southern oaks

southern oaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    Its been crazy. He has always been the big boss. can't believe this one is stepping in... and I love them both... I need both the colors.. so i will try that and see how it goes.. thanks Peeps.. you are always a life saver

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    If I don't use the caging trick for dealing with an aggressive bully, then I've been lucky enough to have separate coops/runs so when I do get a bully that's causing chaos in his flock he gets moved to another flock, loses his place in "his" perceived pecking order, and is completely put out of his element for a while. I know not everyone has separate flocks/coop/runs like I do, but it does have it's advantages!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by