Biddies want to camp out on the porch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickie seal, May 16, 2010.

1. chickie seal

chickie seal In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Since it has gotten warmer here, in the 80's well into the evening, my 5 week olds don't want to stay in their coop. They were going in and getting on their baby roost every night like good girls. Now they hang out and roost on the "porch" of their coop or even on top of the coop hatch door. Their pen is screened on all sides and across the top so I'm not too worried about predators here in the city. Should I be closing the door to the coop every night?

2. micaheart

micaheart In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I don't think it matters, as long as your pen is predator proof. They obviously are liking the cooler air. I don't close my coop in the spring and summer, but I have a "Fort Knox" pen built all around my coop, so they are safe.

3. calicokat

calicokat Songster

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Maybe they just want to stay up a little later? Mine like to hang out until the sun is setting, so that means a little later each night.

If they won't go in the coop, I definatly would put them there and close them up. You'd feel terrible if something somehow got to them and you didn't do all you could to protect them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: