Bidding Etiquette?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jeaucamom, Jan 5, 2008.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I am just now entering the wonderful (stressful!!!) world of bidding on hatching eggs. So here is a delicate question..... If we see someone from here already bidding on eggs, what is the etiquette for bidding against them?? I really don't want to overstep my bounds or offend. Thanks, Suz

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    bid away its all part of the auction, if you dont want to run them up you could contact them and find out how high they are planning to go then if they are willing to go higher than you leave your bid off and they might get outbid by someone else if your high price is less than them, but if its something you really want just go ahead and outbid them.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Another thought, maybe check and see if seller has same eggs every week and wait for next set that way you both get a set???

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  4. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Its OK to Bid - It is the same with putting on auctions.
    Sometimes I will not put an auction on if I see someone from here has one that is going off in a few hours.
    But If I needed the money I would list, or if their auction was for a week or something then I will list.

Compitition is all part of belonging.
    Just think about it if ours were the only birds at a show what fun would it be...

Some one on here did not want to tell me whos silkie eggs they bid on so I would not have hurt feelings.
    That was a nice thought but I would never have hurt feelings, I just was not raised that way.
    Heck thats how I got my birds BUYING FROM SOMEONE ELSE [​IMG]

Its nice that you were concerned.

5. jeaucamom

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    That's a great idea to contact them and find out their max, which is probably way higher than mine [​IMG] so I wouldn't drive up their price. And unfortunately, it isn't something that get's listed all the time, at least I sure haven't seen it like so many of the repeats on ebay. Thanks for all the input.

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Suz...........I wait until auction is just about up to bid....I also sell on ebay......... once one big is on the war usually begins........ if there is a reserve.....most sellers wont tell you what top price is...........and I have never had another bidder let me know what their top dollar is............
    the earlier and the more bidding on an item generally means a higher price.......so if you can watch until the end and make your bids if still not out of your range..........jump in and bid in the last few minutes..........just put in your top dollar........no war needed....... and just keep trying........ good luck......
    What are you after ? if you don't mind me asking?

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:I'm sure she wont tell you, she told me she was bidding against YOU!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

MD..........you brat [​IMG] shhhhhhhhhhh wasn't going to tell her that part........ [​IMG]

9. jeaucamom

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    You guys crack me up. If I am going to launch a surprise attack at the last minute (per Okies suggestion, I would never dream of doing anything so rotten to anyone) do you think I am going to tell YOU?????? Geesh, I wasn't born yesterday. Okie, go look at your pm I just told you [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Hey does that mean your gonna attack me, I didnt even know that you wanted a canoe!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by