pipdzipdnreadytogo

Fuzzy Feather Fanatic
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
This weekend, at 23 weeks and 5-6 days old, little Iddy Biddy-bird laid her first egg!! :ya :celebrate :weee

...Not in the nest box, not even in the coop. Naturally, she laid her first egg in the dust bath house I prepared for the hens to use this winter. :rolleyes: So don't mind the dirt.

See how tiny it is? :love

And here's Biddy this morning (at 24 weeks old exactly), right after I found the egg:

"You wanna make something of it?"

My, my, they sure grow up fast...

Congratulations!! And in the dust bath, she is quite the original!

Yes, the pullets always appear indignant after the first egg. It's as if they're saying, "Well, are you happy now?!"

Is BiddyBird a Speckled Sussex?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the comments! I've been waiting for this girl's first egg ever since she started squatting about 4 weeks ago. :celebrate

Dust bath HOUSE? I need to see this!!

:lol: It really isn't much to see. When we first built our current coop, we built a big, clunky, enclosed nest box structure for just inside. It took up so much space, though, and some of the smaller girls were always falling behind it, so we replaced it. Since I wanted to give them a second food dish outside the coop during this winter and this structure was just lying around without any better use, I put it on its back in the chicken run so the hens could go in and out of it easily. The dusting area is about 4x3 feet and separated by a solid wall from the feed dish area. (And since the old desktop computer isn't registering my camera chip, I guess I'll upload pictures of it later.)

How lovely! Are you gonna blow it out? 

Oooh, I hadn't thought of that... I'll have to see if I can. ;)

Yup, Iddy Biddy-bird is my little Speckled Sussex. She and her broodmates came from Meyer Hatchery in June this year. :D

Thank you all for the comments! I've been waiting for this girl's first egg ever since she started squatting about 4 weeks ago. :celebrate
Dust bath HOUSE? I need to see this!!
:lol: It really isn't much to see. When we first built our current coop, we built a big, clunky, enclosed nest box structure for just inside. It took up so much space, though, and some of the smaller girls were always falling behind it, so we replaced it. Since I wanted to give them a second food dish outside the coop during this winter and this structure was just lying around without any better use, I put it on its back in the chicken run so the hens could go in and out of it easily. The dusting area is about 4x3 feet and separated by a solid wall from the feed dish area. (And since the old desktop computer isn't registering my camera chip, I guess I'll upload pictures of it later.)
How lovely! Are you gonna blow it out?
Oooh, I hadn't thought of that... I'll have to see if I can. ;)
Yup, Iddy Biddy-bird is my little Speckled Sussex. She and her broodmates came from Meyer Hatchery in June this year. :D
I see your profile pic, and it immediately reminded me of a picture I took of my girl Janet.
_MG_8385.jpg
They must be sisters ;) lol

I see your profile pic, and it immediately reminded me of a picture I took of my girl Janet.
_MG_8385.jpg
Pretty girl! She's a partridge Cochin, right? (It looks like she has feathered feet, anyway.) My avatar is a picture of She Who Sleeps Standing Up (SWSSU for short) the partridge Plymouth Rock. She's one of Biddy's broodmates. :D
swssuface.jpg
I like how they have the same pose. :lol: Maybe they are related! Anyway, the dust bath house! Sweet SWSSU modeled beside it for me.
The left end of it is the dusting area and the right end of it is the feed area (the cinder block is holding that piece of plywood over an opening above the feed). I can pull the door closed for poor weather, which makes it just dark enough to make a nice nest for certain little speckled Sussex. Biddy kindly hopped up onto it to show us where she laid her egg. "Riiight down there!"
You can see what used to be the floor of the nests in that picture. Biddy laid her second egg today! :ya This time, she laid it at the bottom of the steps that lead up to the nest boxes. She's getting closer! :lol:

_MG_8385.jpg
Pretty girl! She's a partridge Cochin, right? (It looks like she has feathered feet, anyway.) My avatar is a picture of She Who Sleeps Standing Up (SWSSU for short) the partridge Plymouth Rock. She's one of Biddy's broodmates. :D
swssuface.jpg
I like how they have the same pose. :lol: Maybe they are related! Anyway, the dust bath house! Sweet SWSSU modeled beside it for me.
The left end of it is the dusting area and the right end of it is the feed area (the cinder block is holding that piece of plywood over an opening above the feed). I can pull the door closed for poor weather, which makes it just dark enough to make a nice nest for certain little speckled Sussex. Biddy kindly hopped up onto it to show us where she laid her egg. "Riiight down there!"
You can see what used to be the floor of the nests in that picture. Biddy laid her second egg today! :ya This time, she laid it at the bottom of the steps that lead up to the nest boxes. She's getting closer! :lol:
That pose is what gets me! They are standing the same :lol: That dust bath house is not simple like you said. Looks really technical! Very cool. I'd lay there if I was a chicken :) Oh and yes, she is a partridge cochin :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom