Bielefelder and Bresse - Free rage and organic hatching eggs

plumcreek

Songster
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
Bresse $4 per egg or 6 for $20

Bielefelders $8 per egg

Offering fresh eggs from our urban farm in Austin Texas. We have been searching for years for the perfect urban breeds and have found these great options. We live in the city and have a small area so we have to be smart about or chickens. We want breeds that can give eggs and meat, tolerate city living, and be easy and calm.

The bielefelders are truly our favorite breed ever. They are so easy going, tame, beautiful, and great for meat or eggs. The chicks are auto-sexing so you can raise the girls for eggs and the boys for meat from day 1. They girls lay great and the boys are huge. They are hefty enough for meat but have none of the leg and joint problems of factory type meat birds.

The Bresse suprised us. We got them as a gimmick to try the "kobe of chicken" and found an amazing dynamic breed great for the city. They are EXCELLENT layers. We were not expecting the 5-7 eggs per week we get from each bird. They also have the lowest feed to meat ratio of any of the breeds we tried. Their feeders stay full twice a long as any breed we have owned and yet the males are VERY substantial and hefty. They are not autosexing but it is easy to tell by the comb size within the first few weeks.
PS. I always give extra!

Last edited:
It depends on how many eggs. Usually between $12 and $15 for USPS priority.

Jen

I am interested in both of these breeds. At what age are the males large enough to butcher? Also at what age to they tend to start crowing. Please be clear with the ages for each breed.

Hi,
We can do a dozen Bresse in one order but I am sold out until the March 17th shipment. If you are interested in reserving those let me know./.

The bresse will dress out at 3-5 pounds by 16 weeks (females 3-4lbs, males 4-5lbs) and do start learning to crow at about 14 weeks. By 18 weeks the males can be up to 6+ pounds. Their weight will really depend on how they are raised. If they are free ranged and fed slowly they will take longer than if you confine them and feed them as meat birds. They do take longer than factory meat birds but they also take less feed to get there, especially if allowed to range.

The bielefelders are giants but we haven't slaughtered any yet. The males are very large by 16 weeks and they start crowing late. I would say they could be processed at 16 weeks if fed as meat birds.

Both of our flocks were purchased from Greenfire farms directly. The bresse directly and the bielefelders through rare breeds. We ordered a LOT of bielefelder chicks, over 30, and reduced our flock down to the best 7 hens and 2 roosters.

Jen

Last edited:
Our Bielefelders are amazing. They lay 5-6 eggs a week, like a leghorn (obviously they begin to lay much later, since they are a large breed). Not only that, but they lay right thru the winter without supplemental light.

We love this breed- my favorite of all that I have raised.

I've been selling all my chickens and fertile eggs as fast as they lay and/or can be hatched, from my ads on Craigslist. People love them!

People have asked how they taste- and how much they dress out to be- but truthfully, I can't bear to think of eating them because they are such nice birds- calm and docile- even the roosters!

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom