Bielefelder family reunion

SnapdragonQ

It's coffee o'clock!
Feb 2, 2020
VA
Since a fair number of people are starting Biele chicks this year, or have started in the last few years, this might be a good place to share information, post pics of our babies, growing kids, adult members of our flocks, or generally just brag on our birds! Bieles seem to have some unique characteristics from the moment they hatch, so please feel free to ask and share whatever you wish!

I'll go first-
I ordered eggs from an ebay seller and just completed a pretty successful hatch for shipped eggs. Mine are 3 1/2 days old and there are 4 girls and 2 boys.
Overall they are quiet chicks but the boys are inquisitive and are emerging as natural leaders. They can be pretty vocal when they want attention or to make a statement.
I know others have chicks from the same seller so we do have siblings and cousins right here on BYC!

Last edited:
20200714_131802.jpg
20200716_165646.jpg
20200714_190711.jpg

Hey all I purchased ebay eggs too. And experienced an okay hatch. Came out with two boys and two girls. Mine are related to @SnapdragonQ 's and a few others (or maybe not so few ;) )

I am finding mine to be quiet as well with occasional racket. They are also curious and smart. I call them my earthmovers because they have such a "go get 'em" attitude from the minute they hatch.

Another thing to note is that I had a chick that seemed too eager to hatch and came out with an unabsorbed yolk sack and it had to be culled.

Today I added 5 new Bielefelders via a local breeder. 1 boy and 4 girls. I now have what I need to create my own flock! These guys are quite a bit smaller but have a quiet, curious, bulldozer personality as well.

Pictures to come a bit later.

My Biele's were the first to hatch out. We had Cream Legbars, Marans, and the Biele's. 14 Biele's went into lock-down and 8 hatched. 5 boys, 3 girls. One of the boys passed away a few days ago but everyone else is doing great. He was a tiny little guy. Yesterday, I picked up some live chicks from Greenfire Farms to add to the hatchings. They included Isbars, Cream Legbars, Marans, and more Bielefelders. These will all grow out and become my foundation flock. Adorable babies! While I'm excited about all of these breeds, I have to confess that the Bielefelders are the breed I have wished for every since I got my first chicken two years ago! You can say that they are responsible for all my future chicken dreams! All of my hatchlings came from Omega Hills Farm. I wanted to get some from various sources to have genetic diversity so I got the live chicks from Greenfire as a backup plan in case my hatch was a total bust. I've got Skywalker2136 in my saved seller list and I may bid on some of his in the future but for now I'm starting with what I have. Glad to be here! :cool:

My Biele's were the first to hatch out. We had Cream Legbars, Marans, and the Biele's. 14 Biele's went into lock-down and 8 hatched. 5 boys, 3 girls. One of the boys passed away a few days ago but everyone else is doing great. He was a tiny little guy. Yesterday, I picked up some live chicks from Greenfire Farms to add to the hatchings. They included Isbars, Cream Legbars, Marans, and more Bielefelders. These will all grow out and become my foundation flock. Adorable babies! While I'm excited about all of these breeds, I have to confess that the Bielefelders are the breed I have wished for every since I got my first chicken two years ago! You can say that they are responsible for all my future chicken dreams! All of my hatchlings came from Omega Hills Farm. I wanted to get some from various sources to have genetic diversity so I got the live chicks from Greenfire as a backup plan in case my hatch was a total bust. I've got Skywalker2136 in my saved seller list and I may bid on some of his in the future but for now I'm starting with what I have. Glad to be here! :cool:
I'm so glad you finally got your heart chickens. 🥰

Really curious to see how the Omega Hills and Greenfire chicks will grow out because I know I will need some diversity going forward and will need to order chicks or eggs from a different source.

Depending on how things go maybe we all could do an egg swap in the future.

Back
Top Bottom