1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bielefelder with Ameraucana crosses?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Coop de Grass, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a young Bielefelder roo and two Bielefelder hens, but I have other hens as well in my mixed flock. I am wondering what type of eggs would be laid by chicks of Bielefelder roo and Ameraucana hens? My Ameraucana hens are only 15 weeks old, and have not started laying or even exploring nest boxes.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I assume you mean Easter Eggers, not True Ameraucanas? If you aren't sure what the difference is, they're Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are multigenerational hybrids of Ameraucanas and are very frequently mislabeled as the real deal. True Ameraucanas are rare, expensive, and when sold will be prefixed with a color variety, e.g. a "Blue Ameraucana" or a "Wheaten Ameraucana".

About 80% of them can be expected to lay a blue or green egg (the other 20% will produce tan/pink/tinted). The blue egg gene is dominant, so those who lay a colored egg have at least one copy of the gene, but whether they have one or two will be impossible to tell until they are test bred. Those with two copies will produce 100% green egg laying offspring, those with one copy will produce 50% green and 50% brown egg layers. The 20% of Easter Eggers who produce pink/tan/tinted eggs will produce 100% brown/tinted/pink/whatever shade laying offspring when breed with another brown egg layer.

3. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

I just checked, and these are Easter Eggers according to the hatchery website which also lists them as Ameraucanas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]The second pullet is a Bielefelder that was taken by a predator, the Bielefelder roo is at the end.

[​IMG]The darker bird was a roo that went back to the breeder - I am on borrowed time with my roo because of local ordinances. Have to speak to my neighbors, but the ones I've already spoken with are ok with him :)

I guess that since I am not going to breed several generations, I would have to sell the chicks as EE mixes? And give a color range for the eggs?

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Yep, definitely EEs.

Chicks would be Easter Egger mixes, yes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by