Bielefelders are dying

aberken

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2018
Any help would be appreciated. I have had 5 of my 7 Bielefelder hens die over the past year. One was about a year old and the others were and a year and a half. 4 were purchased from a local farmer and one I hatched in an incubator. All looked healthy one day and we’re dead in the run the next day. I have numerous other breeds and none of them are dying and lay regularly. Anyone have any insight or ideas? It’s not predators and I have seen no trauma or any signs of disease all look healthy.

Kabootar

Crowing
Aug 15, 2017
Bihar India
I think a necropsy would help in determining the cause of death. I have heard some bad things about this particular breed. But anyway you should consult a vet and a breeder of that breed.

Tesumph

Knotenolk
6 Years
Jul 10, 2015
Are all of your breeds kept together, or are the bielefelders kept separately?
Have you done a thorough physical examination to check for parasites, sneezy or watery eyes, any abnormalities in the throat, a clear vent, normal eating behaviors, etc.?

If it’s something you’re interested in, we can help find a lab that you can send a dead bird into for a necropsy.

Shezadandy

Crowing
6 Years
5 Years
Sep 26, 2015
Portland OR
Any help would be appreciated. I have had 5 of my 7 Bielefelder hens die over the past year. One was about a year old and the others were and a year and a half. 4 were purchased from a local farmer and one I hatched in an incubator. All looked healthy one day and we’re dead in the run the next day. I have numerous other breeds and none of them are dying and lay regularly. Anyone have any insight or ideas? It’s not predators and I have seen no trauma or any signs of disease all look healthy.

One thought is they're bred to be fast-developing dual purpose chickens (meat and eggs), i.e. like straight up meat chickens, they may have heart issues particular to their fast growing genetics. Just a thought.

aberken

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2018
Are all of your breeds kept together, or are the bielefelders kept separately?
Have you done a thorough physical examination to check for parasites, sneezy or watery eyes, any abnormalities in the throat, a clear vent, normal eating behaviors, etc.?

If it’s something you’re interested in, we can help find a lab that you can send a dead bird into for a necropsy.
They are all kept together and have been since day one. I looked her over good, she did have a very dirty vent but it wasn’t blocked, and some of that may have been from after she passed. I have not seen any signs of parasites or diseases on her or my other 20 birds. I will hold off on a necropsy for now, thank you.

aberken

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2018
One thought is they're bred to be fast-developing dual purpose chickens (meat and eggs), i.e. like straight up meat chickens, they may have heart issues particular to their fast growing genetics. Just a thought.
Yes they did grow fast and were plump but they don’t get too many treats. I have two left and will keep a close eye on them. Thanks fir the reply.

Shezadandy

Crowing
6 Years
5 Years
Sep 26, 2015
Portland OR
Yes they did grow fast and were plump but they don’t get too many treats. I have two left and will keep a close eye on them. Thanks fir the reply.

I don't mean to imply it's anything you did or didn't do - just that the birds themselves might be predisposed to heart issues, especially given the cluster of deaths particular to only that breeed.

aberken

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2018
Sure I didn’t take it that way at all. It’s strange that I have 20 other birds that all seem so happy and healthy. I have two other Bielefelders that appear healthy as well. I have heard that the large breeds like Bielefelders are prone to health issues. Thank you for your help.

Top Bottom