Big 12-week-old Cockerels trying to mount banties!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dangerouschicken, May 19, 2008.

1. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have 4 EE bantam hens that were last year's flock. This year, I have 24 med-large pullets and cockerels that I added to the banties at 7 weeks of age. Everything was fine, basically the banties were ruling the roost, until the cockerels' hormones kicked in. Now the big cockerels are trying to mount my tiny banties. The aggressive cockerels are White Leghorns, White Rocks, and Americaunas. At least if one tries to mount a little hen, her banty sisters attack him! We are set to butcher the cockerels soon (except one or two). Do you think I need to make a seperate coop for the banties, or do you think they can hold their own once there is only one or two roosters? I have never had the different sized chickens together and would appreciate input from you folks.

Thanks!

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Your banties will always be a target because they are smaller. The leghorn will probably be the smallest roo you will have.
    Can you get a banty rooster after you butcher the big roos?

3. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    With the difference in size, I'm thinking that separate quarters for the banties would be in order.

4. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Well, the option is there for separate quarters, I just have to construct them. It wouldn't be too hard as I was thinking of making a chicken tractor anyway, and I think that would be good with 4 little banties. I don't think my getting a bantam rooster replacement will work, because there are one or two large-sized roos I'd like to keep (and not butcher) for breeding.

I will get on it the separate quarters.

thanks! any other ideas?

5. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I wanted to update you all:

I rehomed the 4 bantie hens to my neighbor, who has a bantam rooster that needed girlfriends. Her son, who is 7, wants to hatch some eggs out.

When I left them today, they all looked quite happy, especially the roo [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by