Big 6 wk old chick, which breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Deltabwa, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Deltabwa

Deltabwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    Hi! Long time stalker, 1st time poster. I bought chicks from MPC. I have a bunch that I'm not sure what breed they are but this one really confuses me. I ordered a few specifics then 2 Adopt Me bargains and 10 of the assorted female rare breeds. I have 4 of this breed I think. 1 is a roo, but he has yellow legs and not the olive green that the other 3 have. He's an obvious roo with a big red comb and waddles since 2 weeks. This breed is also huge compared to the other 14 I got at the same time. I'll post the others later but this one really has me searching. She is 6 weeks old today.
    [[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I can't quite make out the comb type? Either a deleware or a Columbian Wyandotte

3. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    Here's a close up of the comb. I didn't even look at those breeds because of the green legs. Maybe that's why I couldn't find out lol. [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Assuming it's a pure bred bird and not one of MPC's mutts, it's a Delaware. The barring in the hackle is the giveaway. Other Colombian colored birds have solid black feathers in the neck. Delawares carry the barring gene, so the black there gets that barred/flecked/ticking appearance.

At 6 weeks, I'm thinking pullet.

5. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    Thanks. I had sent MPC pics at a week to see if they had thoughts and they had thought Splash Marans or Jubilee Orphingtons at the time. The chics were yellow with white wings and varying degrees of black in the wing (5 of them looked like this and not the 4 I originally posted). Here's one of the pics I sent them.
    [​IMG]

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would agree it's a delewares.

7. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    thanks so much for your responses! It was really driving me crazy trying to figure it out :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Delaware pullet

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Marans and Orpingtons both have white/pink skin.

Not sure what your other birds are, but they're not splash anything. don't look like Jubilee either, those are mahogany based and the red feathers out first.

10. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    Thanks. So this is the roo. Is he the same or something different. His growth is the same but doesn't have the black like the girls (that are identical to the one I posted) are.

This pic shows another of the girls and him side by side and you can see the difference in leg color. That's why I wonder about his breed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by