Big and Little Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by d.k, Jun 20, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* We liue on a 1/2 mile street between two major roadways. We have our regular driveway and a gravel easement at the front yard for parking for the kids. People are always using one or the other to turn around, make cell calls in their cars, check maps, euen eat lunch in their cars!! WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?? [​IMG]

2. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    From what I've been told. It is perfectly legal for people to use a driveway (anybody's) to turnaround safely. But to stop to do the other stuff!? I don't thinks that's right at all! You might consider a rope across the entrance to your driveway. People need to understand that your property is not a "rest stop"!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'd go out there with a camera and take their picture. Make 'em nervous and they'll leave quick.

Seems some people have driveways or parking areas in front of their properties that are just perfect for people that miss their correct turn, or are in areas that make people wonder if they are lost or not.

Around here, I'm surprised by the number of driveways that have little, polite, "Please, no turns" signs. We have a lot of tourists, and they must miss a lot of turns.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* It gets worse. When the tree trimmer guys where in the neighborhood last week, I understood when they parked out front to do the wire line in the backyard, but when I went to check on Chook, one of them was taking a lunchtime nap on the ground in the shade of our ficus tree. . . . .

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    2 winters ago when I moved in here one neighbor drove his snowmobile right behind my house. I could have spit on him he was so close. Another went on cross country skis, that one was a cousin but she could have at least asked!

My other big peeve is turn signals, arent all cars made with them!!!

I saw a great bumper sticker-

Visualize
    using your turn signal

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I like the camera idea. When you see one, walk outside and take pics, that should scare them away.

7. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Pet peeves: ppl who look through goodwill/charity shops stuff while its outside and see if they can use things.
    ppl who don't like NNs.

That is wierd d.k. Why would they all come to your driveway? I think the camera idea would work. Or start your chainsaw and start walking towards them [​IMG] that should scare them away for good [​IMG].

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  8. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I like the chainsaw idea ...maybe that would work here [​IMG]

The camera works very well around here ..I have a different element trying to "park" in front of my house [​IMG] ...stupid city life! ..but grabbing the good ol' digital and sitting on my front stoop with it in plain sight, usually gets them moving!

I've only had a couple tell me, "you can't take my picture!" ... "Uhh, yes I can! If you can stand in front of my house and sell illicit things, I can most certainly take your picture!!" (My block is a drug-free zone! LOL )

9. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    d.k :

* It gets worse. When the tree trimmer guys where in the neighborhood last week, I understood when they parked out front to do the wire line in the backyard, but when I went to check on Chook, one of them was taking a lunchtime nap on the ground in the shade of our ficus tree. . . . .

I can beat that one!!

The first summer we lived here I was home on vacation. I heard the water running. Checked the bathroom, checked the pantry. Went to the basement to check the washer and low and behold. I looked out the window over the washer and there was a hose hooked up and ON!
    Went outside and saw the hose running out my back yard to a neighbors.
    The guys doing their landscaping had gotten hot and thirsty. Instead of bringing or buying or using the customers water they ran a hose and used MINE!
    I shut it off. Walked over to the neighbors house dragging the end, with the end cut off. behind me.:mad:

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I hear you! I live off the access road to a ski area, and people are always wanting to park on our little dirt road so that they can catch the shuttle bus up the mountain and not have to deal with the parking lot crowds.
    Once I caught a guy actually parking in my circular driveway, which is very obviously a driveway and not part of the road! He looked at me like I was a big old grump when I asked him to move his car.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by