Big and mean

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tenmore, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    What is the best and safest way to cull this guy 1 year old and like I said BIG AND MEAN....

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Got a large fishing net ? They work pretty good to catch from a distants - it helps if you can corner em and get the net over and then hold wings down close to their body and they calm down pretty fast. If you have helper it will help getting the bird out of the net and still be held/calm.

3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Tip #1 - Be meaner than the rooster!

Tip #2 - guard your eyes!

Tip #3 - Be light on your feet, weave a bob!

I was too slow to catch my big mean roo so I had my son do it for me. Only the wife and daughter were afraid of it.

4. beefmaster

beefmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    as said protect your eyes at all times.the best way is to shoot an kill the mean roo.

5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    pardon the dumb question, what kind of gun/gauge/shell do you shoot a rooster with?

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Nab him off the roost at night, put him in a box, crate, cage, whatever. In the morning, grab him, put him in a killing cone if you need to and lop off his head. A very sharp fillet knife works quite well. If that's not an option and you have help, try wrapping him in a towel, have someone hold him and use the stump and nail method to chop off his head.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This.
    Why bother chasing a mean rooster around? Grab him off the roost, cover his head and you can crate him overnight or just butcher him in the dark.

8. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Well problem solved .......walked outside this morning and he was laying in the run with his feet up in the air dead......what's with that....no signs of trauma. He was just fine yesterday afternoon. Hope he wasn't sick

9. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Maybe the rooster died of meanness. [​IMG]

10. sladell1463

sladell1463 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2012
    Maybe he got word bout what was coming down the line for him & he stroked out. Something may have spooked him in the run & he fatally injured himself when he freaked out trying to get away from the real/imaginary threat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by