Big Apple Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chisNchickens, Jan 29, 2012.

1. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I am inheriting a Big Apple incubator tomorrow and wonder if anyone has any experience with these. It was used as a reptile incubator but the guy said it was purchased as a bird incubator. The link below looks exactly like it but is listed as a reptile incubator! The one I am getting is older and I don't see any "bird" incubators on the site. How's all that for confusing!?
    Anywhere here is the link for anyone who might know anything about these.
    http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Safety-Hatch-Reptile-Incubator

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    It looks great, but you would need to install egg turners, because if you were hatching on a large scale using this incubator the hand turning wouldn't be so fun

3. chisNchickens

Apr 16, 2011
    Yes, turners for sure! But wow...this thing is huge and I can't imagine ever hatching that many eggs!

4. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'd keep it as is and use it as the hatcher, get a seperate incubator. This looks pretty much like my sportsman hatcher, you'd spend quite a bit converting it when it would work just fine for hatching.

5. chisNchickens

Apr 16, 2011
    JIC anyone is interested - the incubator model is a GQF 1255R. It IS a reptile bator and is not made any longer. I'm hoping turners will fit. If anyone knows the dimensions or at least how wide the turner is, I'd like to know. I have emailed for specs.
    I'm thinking maybe I can use it for incubating AND hatching...

6. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Turners are 15"x15"

7. chisNchickens

Apr 16, 2011
    Wonderful. Inside of this measures a bit over 14 and a half inches. Guess I will be getting a hovabator after all...sigh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by