"big" bantam eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buns, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    I ordered some OE bantam eggs and was a little surprised at the size of them when I received them. They are larger than the eggs my OE bantams lay. Is that pretty much a guarantee that the chicks I raise from these are going to be "large" sized bantams?
    When bidding one eggs, or considering bidding, what is the best way to ensure that you are getting the size bird you want? "Small" is pretty subjective...

2. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    Ask for pictures?????? Speaking of pictures you got any [​IMG] of these big bantam eggs???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cause I have Crele old english game eggs and they were pretty small they fit in the palm of my hand..

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  3. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    my bbr OEGbantam hen lays eggs about the size of a quarter and the chicks are about the size of a qual if the eggs are big thay are not show stock birds and will be to big OEG bantans are sopost to whey 20 oz or less

4. Buns

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:So far as asking for pictures of the birds, if there isn't anything in the picture to give adequate size comparison to, it doesn't do much good. I can take a picture of one of them next to one of my bantam's eggs later and upload to show you. It's not like a xlarge egg from the market, it's just not as small as my bantam's eggs are.

5. Buns

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:Thank you. I got zero chicks from the larger size eggs, which in retrospect is okay with me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by