big bantam roosters

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick_in_Indiana, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I was given 4 mixed chicks last summer. I ended up with 2 cocks and 2 hens. The hens are bantam size but the roosters are getting bigger every week. When will they stop growing? How much bigger is a bantam rooster compare to a hen? The hens also lay green eggs. Is that commom of a bantam. ( I've never had any bantams before:confused:)

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    are the roos standard? and the roos dont get that much bigger.
    [​IMG]

3. Chick_in_Indiana

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    they are all brothers and sisters. The hens are less then half the size of the roosters. It might be possible they have both stanard and bantams jeans in them. Then lady that gave them to me have very few pure bred chickens. The mom looked like a buff orp. and one of my hens has the same color but is bantam size. One of the roosters is mostly white with big blue tail feather.

4. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    green eggs? those are easter egger bantams. Do your hens look like this? You said they were buff.
    [​IMG]
    What do your roosters look like?

5. Chick_in_Indiana

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    They all are very different. Like I said one hen(snow ball) looks like a buff only much smaller. The other hen (peaches)is white with black tips on her feathers then a brownish color dusted on her back. She also has long feathers on her feet. One rooster(blue butt) is white with long blue tail feathers black tips on his wings, long yellow feather on his head and back like a dorking and a pea comb. The other rooster (OJ gombo legs) is white with big bright orange legs a few short black feathers in his tail and a bright red single comb. He also has the long yellow feather on his head but not on his back. I'll try and get pics tomorrow.

6. seagullplayer

seagullplayer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Your chicks may have come out from under the same hen, but that doesn't mean the eggs where all hers.

If the lady you got them from has all her birds running together, you could have gotten a combination of different hens with different roosters.

Bantam and standard do mix, the cross can come out either way or in the middle.

From what I understand the color egg trait is dominate, so somewhere down the line she had americanas of some fashion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by